1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance/unit length of solenoid

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solenoid is wound with a single layer of copper wire of radius 0.24 cm. The solenoid is 1 cm in diameter and 2.6 cm long. What is the inductance of the solenoid per unit length? Assume that adjacent wires touch each other and that insulation thickness is negligible.

2. Relevant equations

L = μon^2Ad

3. The attempt at a solution

So I am thinking that in order to find n (the number of turns of the copper wire per unit length) I need to be using the radius given for the wire. Then I can put that n in the inductance equation. The length, l, of the solenoid will cancel because the question asks for the inductance/unit length. The problem is, I keep getting this wrong and I would like to find out what I do wrong!

if r(Cu wire) = 0.0024 m --> d(Cu wire) = 0.0048
    so, the number of turns per unit length = l/d(Cu wire) = 0.01/0.0048 = 2.0833

Now, L/l = (μon^2∏r(solenoid)^2l)/l = (4∏E-7*2.0833^2*∏*0.01^2) = 1.71E-9 H/m

Where is my mistake? Thank you!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted