Building an Induction Heater for Steel & Aluminium

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of making an induction heater to heat steel and aluminium pieces measuring 15mm by 25mm. The speaker is seeking recommendations for sources of information on calculating parameters and other general information. They mention having looked at various websites but are hesitant to copy someone else's idea and want to create their own. Another person suggests looking into the ARC program at the National Energy Technology Laboratory for more information.
D44
Hi guys

I'm looking to make an induction heater to heat bits of steel and aluminium (maybe 15mm by 25mm).

Can anyone recommend a good source of information in terms of calculating the various parameters and other general information? I've looked at many websites but a lot of them seem to be heating things much smaller than what I'm looking to heat and I don't want to copy someone's idea. I'd like to do it myself.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
About 25yrs ago a friend of mine was working on his MS with the http://www.netl.doe.gov/about/arc_history.html on a this very problem. Maybe that would be another place to look.

Thank you for your post, I shall have a good look at this.

1. What is an induction heater?

An induction heater is a device that uses electromagnetic induction to heat up electrically conductive materials, such as steel and aluminium, without direct contact.

2. How does an induction heater work?

An induction heater works by creating a magnetic field with an alternating current that induces eddy currents in the metal object being heated. These eddy currents cause the metal to heat up due to its resistance to the current.

3. What are the advantages of using an induction heater for steel and aluminium?

Induction heating is a more efficient and precise method of heating compared to traditional methods like flame or resistance heating. It also allows for faster heating and more control over the temperature, resulting in less material waste and higher quality products.

4. What are the components needed to build an induction heater for steel and aluminium?

The main components needed are a power supply, an induction heating coil, a workpiece, and a temperature controller. Additional components may include a cooling system, sensors, and a control panel.

5. Is it safe to use an induction heater for steel and aluminium?

Yes, as long as proper safety measures are taken and the equipment is used correctly. Induction heating produces minimal fumes and does not involve open flames, making it a safer option compared to other heating methods. However, caution should still be taken when handling hot materials.