1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Induction Heating

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm conducting an experiment where I place a ferrous material rod inside a solenoid to measure it's temperature due to induction heating, as shown in the video below:

The aim of my experiment is to calculate the magnetic field from the temperature of the ferrous material rod. Is there a formula that links the two together? (Temperature due to induction heating and magnetic field)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Calculating the rate of heat generation in the rod is probably possible (depending on how complex the temperature dependence of the magnetic properties of the rod is), but the calculation of radiative and convective heat loss rate to the surroundings is likely to be a difficult problem. Both rates affect the steady state temperature the metal reaches.

4. Apr 25, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might stand a better chance of measuring the rate of temperature rise or the rate of heat transfer, rather than the final temperature. I was thinking along the lines of the Calendar and Barnes equipment we used in A level physics at School.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted