How can tuning a coil with a capacitor help detect multiple metal objects?

In summary, the individual is having trouble finding formulas to prove their idea for using a loop of 20 Gauge magnet wire as a detector for multiple items. They have tried tuning the coil with a RLC circuit but cannot determine the change in relationship to multiple objects of the same size. Others suggest using a capacitor to tune the coil and observing changes in inductance and resonant frequency when magnetic or nonmagnetic objects are introduced. However, they note that the complexity of the situation may require trial and error rather than relying on formulas.
bldavis83
Good Day All,
I would like to know if anyone can help with the following; I am running it a few problems and I am not able to find the formulas that will allow me to prove my idea.

I have a loop of 20 Gauge magnet wire; it's 24 inches by 2 inches. I'm using this as a detector, but i want to detect multiple items. I know that if I tune the coil loop with a RLC circuit that the coil will be detuned when a metal object is introduced inside the loop. but i can not find out what the change would be or what that change would be in relationship to multiples objects of the same size would be.

if someone would be willing to point me in the right direction that would be great; I understand the this is very simuliar to a metal detector or vehicle loop detector but i can't find the formula to allow me to see if this works the way that I think it will...

Engineering news on Phys.org

This is one of those areas where you need to just make it and see what happens. The situation around a large coil is so complex that a formula is just not going to be able to describe it.

Metal detectors can work on a frequency shift, an amplitude shift or a change in coupling between two coils, or a combination of these effects.

Tuning the coil with a capacitor is a good idea. Once tuned, if you bring a magnetic material near it, the magnetic material will increase the inductance of your circuit and lower its resonant frequency.

If you bring a non-magnetic metal near it, the current in your loop will induce eddy currents in the aluminum which have a magnetic field opposing the the magnetic field of your coil. Those opposing magnetic fields reduce the inductance of your circuit and raise the resonant frequency.

Either way the current in your loop will be reduced. Perhaps if you use your pickup coil in an audio oscillator, you'll be able to hear the change in pitch indicating if the metal is magnetic or nonmagnetic.

What is an Induction Loop Detector?

An Induction Loop Detector is a device used to detect the presence of a vehicle by sensing the changes in the electromagnetic field of a loop of wire installed in the ground. It is commonly used in traffic control systems, parking lots, and toll booths.

How does an Induction Loop Detector work?

The Induction Loop Detector works by generating an electromagnetic field in a loop of wire embedded in the ground. When a vehicle passes over the loop, it disrupts the electromagnetic field, and the detector registers the change, triggering a signal.

What are the benefits of using an Induction Loop Detector?

Induction Loop Detectors are highly reliable and accurate in detecting the presence of vehicles. They are also relatively low-cost and require minimal maintenance. They can be easily integrated into existing traffic control systems and can be used in all weather conditions.

What types of vehicles can be detected by an Induction Loop Detector?

Induction Loop Detectors can detect all types of vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and even large trucks. However, the size and speed of the vehicle may affect the accuracy of the detection.

How are Induction Loop Detectors installed?

Induction Loop Detectors are typically installed by cutting a groove in the road surface and embedding a loop of wire in the ground. The loop is then connected to the detector's electronics, which is usually housed in a nearby control cabinet. The installation process may vary depending on the specific system and location.