Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction melting

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    Why am I not shocked when I stir the molten metal bath of a 1000lb induction furnace? Alumina crucible used.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

What is the potential difference (Voltage) between your stirrer and ground?

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3
    Not sure. I am physically using a metal stick to stir.

5. Jun 3, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

An induction furnace heats the conductive melt by inducing eddy currents. Those eddy currents circulate within the melt. When you stir the melt you are only making one connection to the fully contained circuit. There is no return path through you. If you used two metal stirrers, one in each hand, you would be subjected to a voltage difference. That voltage would only be a couple of volts because the melt is highly conductive.
    Skin effect at the induction oscillator frequency will result in the eddy currents only flowing in the surfaces of the melt. The central part will only be heated by the hot surface. You stir it to get the hot surface inside and the cold centre outside which speeds up the melting while reducing heat loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook