Induction Motor, Parameter Test

In summary, when calculating the stator core loss resistance for an induction motor using the no load test and locked rotor test, you should use the input power to find Rm as it includes both active power and windage losses.
saad87

Homework Statement

I just gave an exam where one of the questions was where I had to find the various parameters using the two forms of tests for an Induction motor:

No load test

Locked rotor.

Now, I can do this question but there is one thing that is confusing me. I had to find the stator core loss resistance, Rc. I was given the input power (450W) and I was also given the windage losses (300W).

Homework Equations

To find Rm, I use P = V^2/Rm

I am confused about whether I should use the input power or input power + windage losses?

I think it should be input power as it includes the windage losses anyway, no?

Here is the circuit:

Screenshot2010-05-22at62027PM.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionYes, you should use the input power to calculate Rm. This is because the input power includes both the active power and the windage losses, so using the input power will ensure that you are accounting for both of them.

1. What is an induction motor?

An induction motor is a type of AC electric motor that works by using electromagnetic induction to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the motor's rotor, causing it to spin and produce mechanical energy.

2. How does an induction motor work?

An induction motor works by using an alternating current (AC) power supply to create a rotating magnetic field in the stator. This field induces a current in the rotor, which then creates its own magnetic field. The interaction between the two fields causes the rotor to spin and produce mechanical energy.

3. What are the main parameters of an induction motor?

The main parameters of an induction motor include its power rating, speed, efficiency, power factor, and torque. These parameters can vary depending on the specific design and application of the motor.

4. How are the parameters of an induction motor tested?

The parameters of an induction motor can be tested using a variety of methods, including no-load tests, locked-rotor tests, and load tests. These tests involve measuring different aspects of the motor's performance, such as input power, output power, and losses, to determine its overall efficiency and other parameters.

5. Why are parameter tests important for induction motors?

Parameter tests are important for induction motors because they allow for the evaluation of the motor's performance and efficiency. This information is necessary for selecting the appropriate motor for a specific application and for identifying any potential issues or maintenance needs. It also helps to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the motor.