1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction motor project advice

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    I'm planning on building a simple induction motor for my class project and am hoping someone might have some advice about powering the motor. I feel a little ridiculous asking but I had almost no understanding of electricity prior to the beginning of my Physics 212 class and the text book doesn't answer all of my questions.

I know that I need to be using an AC power source. I know that AC is what comes out of our wall. I know that I need a capacitor to make the current through my two inductors out of phase. I know that the average potential coming out of the wall socket is 120v and the frequency is 60Hz.

Here is my ridiculous question. How do I safely wire my induction motor so that I can plug it in to the wall? Is this even the best way to power it? I thought about getting an inverter and stealing the battery out of my brother's car but is that even the best way? And if an inverter battery combo is a good idea, how do I connect my motor to the inverter?

I'm hoping this problem is as easy as I think it is.

Thank You

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?