Induction on a Loop Homework: 0.520Ω Square Wire

In summary, the problem involves a 20.0 cm by 20.0 cm square loop of wire with a resistance of 0.520 {\Omega} lying in the xy-plane with a magnetic field given by B = 0.790 * y^2 * t. To find the size of the induced current at t = 0.550 s, the flux must be calculated using the integral \Phi_B=\int\vec{B}\cdot\textrm{d}\vec{A}, where d\vec{A} is written in terms of dy. This is necessary because the magnetic field is not uniform over the entire loop and the area must be divided into small differentials.
theowne

Homework Statement

A 20.0 cm by 20.0 cm square loop of wire lies in the xy-plane with its bottom edge on the x-axis. The resistance of the loop is 0.520 {\Omega}. A magnetic field parallel to the z-axis is given by B = 0.790 * y^2 * t, where B is in tesla, y in meters, and t in seconds. What is the size of the induced current in the loop at t = 0.550 s?

Homework Equations

flux = A.B.cos theta

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time understanding this question. I see that cos theta would be one so I can use the formula A B for the flux. But what is the y^2? Is it a variable? How can I construct the d(flux) / dt? I know that the A can be pulled out, and the 0.790 as well, but I'm not sure how to treat the other two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, y is a variable. Calculating the flux involves doing an integral.

Okay but what variable is it? And why does calculating the flux involve doing an integral?

theowne said:
A 20.0 cm by 20.0 cm square loop of wire lies in the xy-plane with its bottom edge on the x-axis.

Do you understand what the xy plane is? x and y are just what they usually are. They are the x and y coordinates in the xy plane.

... why does calculating the flux involve doing an integral?
The definition of flux is an integral:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_flux#Description

Yes, somehow I can grasp what an x y plane is, but what I meant was for clarification was what it was the y coordinate of. Is it saying the field is different at different y coordinates. And the only definition of flux we have been given to use is area cross magnetic field.

Last edited:
theowne said:
Is it saying the field is different at different y coordinates. And the only definition of flux we have been given to use is area cross magnetic field.

Yes, you are exactly right. However, since B is a function of y, you cannot just take out the area from the integral (the flux is not uniform over the entire square loop). You must divide the square into small area differentials dA.

Yes, as tjkubo said, for this problem you can't simply say

[tex]\Phi_B=BA\cos\theta[/tex]

but instead must use

[tex]\Phi_B=\int\vec{B}\cdot\textrm{d}\vec{A}[/tex]

How would you write [itex]\textrm{d}\vec{A}[/itex] in terms of dy in this problem?

1. What is induction?

Induction is the process by which an electric current is produced in a conductor by varying the magnetic field around it.

2. How does induction work on a loop?

In a loop, when a current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field then induces an electric current in the loop, creating a complete circuit.

3. What is the significance of a 0.520Ω square wire in induction?

The resistance of the wire affects the strength of the induced current. A lower resistance, such as 0.520Ω, allows for a stronger induced current.

4. How is the strength of the induced current in a square wire affected by the loop's size?

The size of the loop affects the strength of the induced current. A larger loop will have a stronger induced current compared to a smaller loop.

5. Can induction occur with other shapes besides a square wire?

Yes, induction can occur with any shape of conductor as long as there is a change in the magnetic field around it. However, a square wire is often used in induction experiments due to its simplicity and ease of calculation.