1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction on an inequality involving sequences

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    I just can't get the following question. Can someone help me out?

Q. Let a < a_1 < b_1 and define [tex]a_{n + 1} = \sqrt {a_n b_n } ,b_{n + 1} = \frac{{a_n + b_n }}{2}[/tex] .

a) Prove that [tex]a_n \le a_{n + 1} \le b_{n + 1} \le b_n [/tex] for all n.
    b) Deduce that the sequences {a_n} and {b_n} both converge.
    c) Prove that they have the same limit. (This limit is called the arithmetic-geometric mean of a_1 and b_1)

Here are my attempts

b) I'll do this one first. By the result of part 'a' {a_n} is increasing and bounded above by b_n while {b_n} is a decreasing sequence and bounded below by a_n. So by the monotonic sequence theorem both sequences converge. Not sure about the argument there, I might have missed a few important points.

a) There might ways other than induction to do this but I can't think of any. So I need to start off with a specific case.

For n = 1: I can get a_1 <= a_(2) but not the b_(2) <= b_(1) part 'properly' and I can't get the a_2 <= b_2 bit at all.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here are a few comments. If 0< a< b then
    1) 0< a2< ab so 0< a< [tex]\sqrt{ab}[/tex]
    That gives you "a2< a1".
    2) 0< a+ b< 2b so 0< (a+b)/2< b.
    That gives you "b2< b1".
    Now, assume that [tex]a_n \le a_{n + 1} \le b_{n + 1} \le b_n [/tex]
    for some k and use the same calculations as above to show that
    [tex]a_{n+1} \le a_{n + 2} \le b_{n + 2} \le b_{n+1} [/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help HallsofIvy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?