1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction on two variables

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    If I am given a propisition P(m,n) and asked to show that it is true for all integers m and n, how do I go about that?

My strategy is to fix one of the variables, say m, and then proceed to use induction on n. Once I've shown that P(m,n) holds for all n when m is fixed, I then conclude that P(m,n) holds for all m and n, since m was chosen arbitrarily.

Is this correct?

If it helps, the particular problem I'm working on is proving the laws of exponents for a group.

Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2
    You show that P(0,0) is true, and that whenever P(m,n) is true, then P(m+1,n) is true and P(m,n+1) is true.

More generally if you have a set of propositions indexed by a connected metric space, if you show that a given point is true, and that whenever P(x) is true then P(y) is true for all y in a fixed radius of x, then P is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook