Can Induction Prove the Laws of Exponents for a Group?

In summary, to show that a proposition P(m,n) is true for all integers m and n, you can fix one variable and use induction on the other variable. This strategy is also applicable for proving the laws of exponents for a group.
samkolb
If I am given a propisition P(m,n) and asked to show that it is true for all integers m and n, how do I go about that?

My strategy is to fix one of the variables, say m, and then proceed to use induction on n. Once I've shown that P(m,n) holds for all n when m is fixed, I then conclude that P(m,n) holds for all m and n, since m was chosen arbitrarily.

Is this correct?

If it helps, the particular problem I'm working on is proving the laws of exponents for a group.

Sam

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You show that P(0,0) is true, and that whenever P(m,n) is true, then P(m+1,n) is true and P(m,n+1) is true.

More generally if you have a set of propositions indexed by a connected metric space, if you show that a given point is true, and that whenever P(x) is true then P(y) is true for all y in a fixed radius of x, then P is true.

What is induction on two variables?

Induction on two variables is a mathematical method used to prove statements or theorems that involve two variables. It involves making an assumption about one of the variables and then proving that the statement holds true for that variable, before generalizing it to the other variable.

What is the purpose of using induction on two variables?

The purpose of using induction on two variables is to prove statements or theorems that involve two variables in a systematic and logical way. It allows us to generalize a statement or theorem to a larger set of values by first proving it for a base case, and then showing that it holds true for all other values.

How do you use induction on two variables?

To use induction on two variables, you first make an assumption about one of the variables and prove that the statement or theorem holds true for that variable. Then, you use the assumption to prove that the statement also holds true for the other variable. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to hold true for all values of the variables.

What are the key steps in using induction on two variables?

The key steps in using induction on two variables are: 1) making an assumption about one of the variables, 2) proving that the statement holds true for the assumed value, 3) using the assumption to prove that the statement also holds true for the other variable, and 4) repeating this process until the statement is proven to hold true for all values of the variables.

What are some examples of statements that can be proven using induction on two variables?

Examples of statements that can be proven using induction on two variables include mathematical equations, inequalities, and geometric theorems that involve two variables. For instance, the Pythagorean theorem (a² + b² = c²) can be proven using induction on two variables, where a and b are the sides of a right triangle and c is the hypotenuse.