Induction paradox

Main Question or Discussion Point

ok, i just can't figure this one out.

you have heard of the example of the 2 wires, and depending on their currents, they will attract or repel each other because they "see" different amounts of protons/neutrons. so, this is what we call "magnetism"

I just can't tie in electromagnetic induction with this. If someone can explain this in these terms, I would be soooo thankful.

(try to use these rules (because I am in 8th grade): you may only use the 2 wires/loops of conductors situation, and you may only use relativity and the electric force in your explanation)

Pleaase try, but is you can't, try to take it to the next fundamental step without using "flux" or any presumed facts other than what I have already explained

Any replies are welcome!

Answers and Replies

JesseM
Science Advisor
Check out this page, it explains how we can use relativity to show that a magnetic force on a charge which is moving in one frame can be re-interpreted as a purely electric force on the same charge in its own rest frame:

http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/mrr/MRRtalk.html

The page shows why a string of charges in one wire will be attracted towards the other wire if they are moving in the same direction as the same type of charge in the other wire, and repelled if they are moving in the opposite direction, as seen in this diagram:

fig7.gif