Proving Induction Formula with Calculus - Maximilian

• Thread starter dustwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in calculus where the formula (1*3*5*...*(2n-1))/(1*2*3*...*n) =< 2^n needs to be proven using induction. The conversation provides steps for solving P(1) and P(k), but struggles with P(k+1). It suggests using a lemma to prove (2k+1)/(k+1) < 2 for all k. The conversation ends with a question about whether C(2n-1,n) =< 2^(2n-1) is true.
dustwave
Hello, I have this problem in my calculus class where I have to prove a formula with induction.

the problem is:

( 1 * 3 * 5 * ... * (2n - 1) ) / ( 1 * 2 * 3 * ... * n) =< 2^n

=< = equal or lesser than

P(1) is easy to solve, and so is P(k), but I start having problems with P(k+1) to prove the formula.. can someone give me a hand? =)

thanks!

/Maximilian

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, P(1) is "easy to solve": 1/1= 1< 21.
I'm not sure what you mean by saying P(k) is "easy to solve"- there's nothing to solve there!

You do, of course, assume that (1*2*...*(2k-1))/(1*2*...*k)<2k

Now, for P(k+1), you have to look at (1*2*..*(2k-1)(2(k+1)-1)/(1*2*...*k*(k+1))
2(k+1)-1= 2k+1 of course, so this is
(1*2*...*(2k-1)*(2k+1)/(1*2*...*k*(k+1)= {(1*2*...*(2k-1))/(1*2*...*k)}{(2k+1)/(k+1)}< 2k{(2k+1)/(k+1)}.

Looks to me like you need to prove that (2k+1)/(k+1)< 2 for all k! I would be inclined to write that as a "lemma" first and use induction to prove it.

(2n-1)!/{(2^(n-1)(n-1)!(n!)}=<2^n

{2^n(n!)}{2^(n-1)(n-1)!}>=(2n-1)!

(2n-1)!/(n!)(n-1)!=<2^(2n-1)

C(2n-1,n)=<2^(2n-1)
True?

1. What is induction formula and why is it important?

The induction formula is a mathematical concept that allows us to prove statements about natural numbers. It is important because it provides a systematic and rigorous method for proving these statements, which can then be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. How does calculus play a role in proving induction formulas?

Calculus is used to establish the base case and the inductive step in proving an induction formula. The base case is typically proven using algebraic techniques, while the inductive step involves using calculus to show that the formula holds for the next natural number after the base case.

3. Can induction formulas be used to prove statements about any type of numbers?

No, induction formulas can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. This is because the inductive step relies on the fact that the formula holds for the next natural number after the base case, and this does not necessarily hold for other types of numbers.

4. Are there any limitations to using induction formulas to prove statements?

Yes, there are some limitations to using induction formulas. One limitation is that the formula must hold for every natural number, which can be difficult to prove in some cases. Additionally, induction formulas can only prove statements about discrete values, so they cannot be used for continuous functions.

5. Can induction formulas be used to prove statements in real-world applications?

Yes, induction formulas can be used to prove statements in real-world applications. For example, they can be used to prove properties of recurrence relations, which are commonly used in computer science and engineering. They can also be used to prove properties of sequences and series, which are important in physics and economics.