1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction proof notation

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have to write several inductive proofs for a class.

Typically, 'n' is used to denote the iterative variable in the problem statement. Then I show the case for n = 1 (or however appropriate for the proof) then proceed to show that if valid for n = k, then valid for n = k+1

However, there are more variables now in the given problem statement (using variables n, k, m, etc) which leaves me uncertain as to how to properly label the inductive step variable. I feel re-using n, k, or m would create additional confusion, as it would if I used alternative variable labels that are not traditionally used to refer only to integers (a, b, c, x, y, z, etc)

How should I alleviate this? Am I clear enough? It's kind of hard to describe...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2
    I don't think it will really make a difference as long as it is clear from your proof how you are using the variable, but I guess you could use j, or l if you want to stick the the letters of the alphabet surrounding n, k, and m.

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

You can also use n for the induction variable, or if not n, whatever variable you happen to be inducting on. It's unnecessary complication to use k in the first place. You just argue:
    Code (Text):

Assume S(n)
       S(n+1)
    S(n) --> S(n+1) (conditional proof)
    for all n, S(n) --> S(n+1) (universal generalization)

Since n is bound by a quantifier outside of the conditional proof, there is no scope conflict.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?