1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction? question

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] induction? question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the question is:
    let k, n, and k1, . . . , kn be given natural numbers, such that
    k1 + . . . + kn = k.
    Assume that k musicians shall be distributed to n orchestras such that exactly
    ki musicians play in the ith orchestra. Prove that there exist exactly
    k!/(k1! · · · kn!)
    different distributions.

is it possible to use induction to answer this? i can prove it by using the choose function to find all the possible distributions. in that way i get a proof for the statement, but i am unable to assume that it is correct for n, and then show it is correct for n+1. can someone give me some ideas?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you need induction if you have a proof without it?
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    because the professor said something about induction. he said to "select from a pool" (of k's i guess, whatever that means) and then use induction over n. he said to check for n=1 and n=2 and show that the statement holds for n>= 2. he does seem kind of out of it though. to use induction how would i proceed? i need to combine some expression with
    k!/(k1! · · · kn!)

right? i can't find this expression. the only sort of induction i can get is a logically inherent one using the choose function.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?