1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction question

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    Hello, I am wondering how explicitly a result needs to be shown in induction questions.

For example prove that 1² + 2² +....+n² = (1/6)n(n+1)(2n+1) where n is a natural number. Here is what I did.

1. P(n) is the statement that the sum of the squares of the first n positive integers is (1/6)n(n+1)(2n+1). Show P(2) is true.

Edit: Fixed first sentence of the above paragraph.

2. Assume P(k) is true where k is a positive integer.

[tex]
    1^2 + 2^2 + ... + k^2 = \frac{1}{6}k\left( {k + 1} \right)\left( {2k + 1} \right)
    [/tex]

3. Show that P(k+1) is true.

[tex]
    1^2 + 2^2 + ... + k^2 + \left( {k + 1} \right)^2 = \frac{1}{6}k\left( {k + 1} \right)\left( {2k + 1} \right) + \left( {k + 1} \right)^2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \left( {k + 1} \right)\left[ {\frac{1}{6}k\left( {2k + 1} \right) + \left( {k + 1} \right)} \right]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{6}\left( {k + 1} \right)\left[ {k\left( {2k + 1} \right) + 6\left( {k + 1} \right)} \right]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{6}\left( {k + 1} \right)\left[ {2k^2 + 7k + 6} \right]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{6}\left( {k + 1} \right)\left( {k + 2} \right)\left( {2k + 3} \right)
    [/tex]

Is it fine up to the point above? Or do I need to also have the following?

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{6}\left( {k + 1} \right)\left( {\left( {k + 1} \right) + 1} \right)\left( {2\left( {k + 1} \right) + 1} \right)
    [/tex]

Any help appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2
    your last step is absolutely nessisory (sry, dunno how to spell this word)... The reason is: you must show in the P(n+1) case, your formulas is the exactly the same as P(n) with n replaced by (n+1)....

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    first you must show it is true when n = 1

which is easy enough, 1 = (1/6)*1*2*3

then do n+1 as you did

I personally would write that last line you wrote to make it very clear that n was replaced with K+1

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4
    Cool, thanks for the help vincent and spectre.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?