Solve Induction Slider Homework: Find AB Voltage & Current

In summary, the induced emf in both cases is B0dx0wsinwt. In the first case, where the U-shaped conductor has negligible resistance, the voltage across the rod is equal to the voltage across the U-shaped conductor, which is zero. The current flowing in the circuit is B0lx0wsinwt/R. In the second case, where the U-shaped conductor has a resistance per unit length of alpha, the voltage across the rod is still equal to the voltage across the U-shaped conductor, which is now given by B0dx0wsinwt/(R+αL). This is because the rod acts as a
fayled

Homework Statement

An induction device is set up as shown below. It has a U-shaped conductor of negligible resistance along which a conducting slider of resistance R moves in the x direction. The assembly is immersed in a uniform magnetic flux density B of magnitude B0 that is directed out of the page. The slider is moved such that its position with respect to the end of the U-shaped conductor is given by x=L+x0coswt with x0<L.

I need to derive the voltage across AB and the current flowing around the U.

Then I need to find the voltage across AB when the U has a resistance per unit length alpha.

Homework Equations

Faraday's law. V=IR.

The Attempt at a Solution

The induced emf is B0dx0wsinwt in both cases. This is induced in the sliding rod.

Now comes my confusion.

In the first case, I believe we have a voltage rise across the rod, and a voltage drop of equal magnitude across the rod due to the resistance. These cancel so V=0. The current that flows is B0lx0wsinwt/R.

In the second case, we now have a voltage rise across the rod, some voltage drop due to a resistance R, and then around the U conductor a voltage drop due to a resistance of R'=α[d+2(L+x0coswt)]. Thus I believe the voltage drop across A and B should be the induced emf minus the the circuit current times the resistance R, with the circuit current the induced emf over total resistance. However the answer is in fact only the second component, i.e just the current times R.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• EM induction problem.png
    EM induction problem.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
First case: correct.

Second case: think of the rod as a battery with internal resistance R and shorted by a wire of resistance alpha times the length of the U. You will get the right answer.

rude man said:
First case: correct.

Second case: think of the rod as a battery with internal resistance R and shorted by a wire of resistance alpha times the length of the U. You will get the right answer.

Unfortunately that is what I was thinking of...

fayled said:
Unfortunately that is what I was thinking of...

You short a battery with a wire of length L (not the L of the illustration) and resistance per unit length α, so the wire resistance is αL, and the battery's internal resistance is R, well, what is the current? What is the voltage drop across the internal resistance?

Last edited:
rude man said:
You short a battery with a wire of length L (not the L of the illustration) and resistance per unit length α, so the wire resistance is αL, and thebattery's internal resistance is R, well, what is the current? Whatis the voltage drop across the internal resistance?

Current is V/(R+aL) I believe. Voltage drop is then that multiplied by R. However we need the voltage between A and B and surely this involves a voltage gain due to the induced emf aswell?

Alternatively this pd should be path independent - if I found the p.d across the u circuit resistance it would give a different result.

fayled said:
Current is V/(R+aL) I believe. Voltage drop is then that multiplied by R. However we need the voltage between A and B and surely this involves a voltage gain due to the induced emf aswell?

Alternatively this pd should be path independent - if I found the p.d across the u circuit resistance it would give a different result.

You wrote that the correct answer is emf - Ri. Where emf = Bvd. That is correct. And the p.d. across the U section is αLi with i = Bvd/(αL + R) which is exactly the same as the drop across the rod. There is no 'different result'.

rude man said:
You wrote that the correct answer is emf - Ri. Where emf = Bvd. That is correct. And the p.d. across the U section is αLi with i = Bvd/(αL + R) which is exactly the same as the drop across the rod. There is no 'different result'.

Nope I said it was the drop across the resistance only despite me thinking otherwise... So I guess the answer isn't right.

fayled said:
Nope I said it was the drop across the resistance only despite me thinking otherwise... So I guess the answer isn't right.

That's not what you said in your first pst. I quote:

" Thus I believe the voltage drop across A and B should be the induced emf minus the the circuit current times the resistance R. "

Which is exactly correct.

rude man said:
That's not what you said in your first pst. I quote:

" Thus I believe the voltage drop across A and B should be the induced emf minus the the circuit current times the resistance R. "

Which is exactly correct.

When I say answer I mean the solution to the problem, I realize that may have been confusing?

Thanks for your help anyway.

fayled said:
When I say answer I mean the solution to the problem, I realize that may have been confusing?

Thanks for your help anyway.

That is the answer to the problem. The problem asks for the voltage across the rod.

rude man said:
That is the answer to the problem. The problem asks for the voltage across the rod.

As in my personal answer disagrees with THE solution.

fayled said:
As in my personal answer disagrees with THE solution.

So what IS THE solution?

OK, if their solution is v = iR then they're wrong and you are right.

fayled, I guess you've given up on this but I wanted to try to clarify by looking at it a bit differently (but the answer is unchanged):

In part (a) the "U" is just a shorting bar. Since no emf is generated around it, the voltage across the sliding rod has to be the voltage across the "U" which has zero resistance and so is zero volts.

In part (b) the "U" is no longer a short. The current is now i = emf/(R+αL) with L = length of the "U". So the voltage V across the U is i x the resistance of the "U" or V = emf/(R+αL) x αL. So this also has to be the voltage across the bar: V = iαL, not iR.

Think about it: Say you start with zero "U" resistance and so the rod voltage is zero. Now increase the U resistance αL slightly. Then, does it make sense that the rod voltage all of a sudden jumps to iR when i has changed just a tiny bit, from emf/R to emf/(R+αL)? Wheras V = iαL makes sense.

Before I said V = emf - iR but that amounts to the same voltage, remembering that i went down from emf/R to emf/(R+αL).

P.S. my L is your 2L + d.

Last edited:

1. What is induction and how does it relate to voltage and current?

Induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. This means that when a magnetic field is moved or changed near a conductor, it can create a flow of electricity, which is the current. Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, and it is directly related to the strength of the induced current.

2. How do you calculate the voltage and current in an induction slider?

The voltage and current in an induction slider can be calculated using the equation V = NABωsin(ωt) and I = NABωcos(ωt), where V is the voltage, I is the current, N is the number of turns in the slider, A is the area of the slider, B is the strength of the magnetic field, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the voltage and current in an induction slider?

The voltage and current in an induction slider are affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the slider, the area of the slider, the strength of the magnetic field, the angular frequency, and the time. Additionally, the material of the conductor and the resistance of the circuit can also impact the voltage and current.

4. How do you find the voltage and current in an induction slider experimentally?

To find the voltage and current in an induction slider experimentally, you will need to set up the experiment with a known number of turns in the slider, a known area, and a known strength of the magnetic field. Then, you can measure the voltage and current at different times using a voltmeter and ammeter. Plugging these values into the equations V = NABωsin(ωt) and I = NABωcos(ωt) will give you the experimental values for voltage and current.

5. How can the voltage and current in an induction slider be used in practical applications?

The voltage and current in an induction slider can be used in practical applications such as generators, motors, and transformers. In generators, the motion of the slider through a magnetic field can produce a current, which can then be used to power electrical devices. In motors, the opposite is true, as the current in the slider creates motion. Transformers also use induction to change the voltage and current levels in an electrical circuit.