1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductive Reasoning

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    Considering that the truth of Si implies the truth of Si+1, i ε natural numbers, then starting from the truth of S1, one can state the truth of Sn, n being any natural number. I was wondering whether we can make any statement as i→∞, such that the limSi as i → ∞ is also true?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I'm tempted to say "No" immediately because one interpretation of what you mean is "if a statement is true for any given natural number then it is true for the entire set of natural numbers". That wouldn't be valid reasoning. For example: S_i = "There is a natural number greater than i" versus "There is a natural number greater than any number in the set of natural numbers".

What you said mentions: " [itex] lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} S_i" [/itex] and you didn't define what this means. If we take "1" as representing "true" and interpret the limit as a the limit of a numerical sequence, then the limit is 1. But that is a different interpretation than in the previous paragraph.

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3
    If we were to check the countability of the cartesian product between two countable sets, A = {a1, a2, a3, ....} and P = {p1, p2, p3, ....}, the resultant set should be countable: If were to consider
    {(a1,p1), (a1,p2), (a1,p3), ....} = M1
    {(a2,p1), (a2,p2), (a2,p3), ....} = M2
    {(a3,p1), (a3,p2), (a3,p3), ....} = M3
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Taking the union of all the Mi's results in taking the union of a countable number of countable sets, and so the cartesian product A x P is countable. From this reasoning, we could say that for N = set of natural numbers, Nn for some finite n is countable:
    Ni x N = Ni+1
    N1 x N = N2 ---> since N is countable, so is N2
    N2 x N = N3 ---> since N2 is countable, so is N3, and so forth.
    However, if we were to continue this for Nn as n→∞ (an infinite dimensional space), the countability is arguable (I initially thought that it would be countable by inductive reasoning):
    Consider the set of real numbers [0,1). This set has power c of the real numbers. We can write each number as some decimal expansion 0.a1a2a3....
    We can map these numbers into the infinite dimensional case of Nn by making the correspondence 0.a1a2a3... → (a1,a2,a3,...). [0,1) would then be mapped to a proper subset of Nn (since each decimal place is bounded between 0 and 9, and forms ending in 99999.... converge to some other form). Therefore Nn can not be countable for the infinite dimensional case.
    I had thought that induction implied that you could apply the condition on Si onto limSi as i → ∞, so I am unsure of whether there is a flaw in this proof somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. Nov 15, 2011 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That phrase has an intuitive appeal, but to reason precisely about it you have to give it a precise definition. What does it mean? After all, we can say that the limit of a numerical sequence is the result of "continuing a process to infinity", but you can't reliably use that definition in proofs. You have to use the epsilon-delta definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook