Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductor characteristics

1. May 15, 2007 #1
    hi I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out; which inductor characteristic is utilised in the smoothing of rectified ac current

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Inductance, Not sure what other characteristics there are?

4. May 15, 2007 #3
    Inductors tend to resist any change in current flow. That's why, at the output of the rectifier, besides the parallel mounted filtering capacitor you can use a series inductor (choke) for a better filtering.

5. May 15, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Probably he was referring to their parasitic parallel capacitance and their DC resistance (DCR). Those other characteristics often need to be taken into account. In the case of the OP, probably only the DCR would matter, since you don't want to throw away too much power in the current ripple smoothing function, so you need to use a physically large enough inductor to handle the ripple current without dropping much voltage across the DCR.

Oh yeah, and the inductor has to be physically large enough not to saturate due to the current. So I guess that makes 4 total characteristics of the inductor:

Inductance L
    DCR
    Parallel Capacitance Cp
    Saturation Current Isat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?