Inductor circuit time constant

In summary, the time constant for an inductor is not L times R, but L/R. This means the time needed to store and release energy is being prolonged with decreasing the R. This is one way to think about it. Increasing the resistance decreases the value of the maximum current and so the current through the inductor would reach its maximum earlier.
Genji Shimada

Homework Statement

Hi. I started studying LR circuits and the first thing that made me do searches in textbooks of mine and in the internet was the time constant which is surprisingly not L times R, but L/R which would mean the time needed to store and release energy is being prolonged with decreasing the R. I am trying to visualize this in the same manner as i visualize RC time constant ( Resistance increases which decreases the rate at which charge flows and it takes more time for the charge to eventualy build up on the plates). Yet i can't get a simillar logic with LR circuit. I have one explanation of my own bellow, but i doubt a bit that it's right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the way i think about it:
When you initially close the switch, the current through the inductor would try to rise from 0 to its maximum value, but this changing I would create an expanding magnetic field which would induce counter emf. And so because of that, the current won't immediately reach its maximum value. Instead, every 1time constant this current will rise by 63,2% of the final minus the previous value. When it reaches maximum there is no more expanding magnetic field and the emf disappears. During this time the inductor is "charging". By increasing the resistance, we decrease the value of the maximum current and so the current through the inductor would reach its maximum earlier. This alone would mean that if R increases the time constant decreases. For discharging > since the current through the inductor is now smaller since we increased the resistance, the magnetic field created by it is weaker. And when we turn off the power supply, there will be less emf induced and thereby this emf will disappear quicker.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is one way to think about it.

Genji Shimada said:
By increasing the resistance, we decrease the value of the maximum current and so the current through the inductor would reach its maximum earlier.
That's not true if you consider your "63.2%" argument. Once the circuit is set, the time constant is fixed and the maximum current is fixed.

Suppose you doubled the voltage supply potential without altering any other component values. The maximum current would double, but would the time constant change too?

gneill said:
That's not true if you consider your "63.2%" argument. Once the circuit is set, the time constant is fixed and the maximum current is fixed.

Suppose you doubled the voltage supply potential without altering any other component values. The maximum current would double, but would the time constant change too?
Good point. I had to re read the original post, I missed that at first.

I shall think more on it and post later, thanks!

1. What is an inductor circuit time constant?

An inductor circuit time constant is a measure of how quickly an inductor's current changes in response to a change in voltage. It is represented by the symbol τ (tau) and is equal to the inductance (L) of the circuit divided by the resistance (R) of the circuit.

2. How is inductor circuit time constant calculated?

The inductor circuit time constant (τ) is calculated using the formula τ = L/R, where L is the inductance of the circuit and R is the resistance of the circuit. This value is measured in seconds.

3. What is the significance of inductor circuit time constant?

Inductor circuit time constant is important because it determines how quickly the current in an inductor circuit will reach a steady state. A shorter time constant means the current will reach its maximum value faster, while a longer time constant means it will take longer to reach its maximum value.

4. How does the value of inductor circuit time constant affect the behavior of the circuit?

The value of inductor circuit time constant affects the behavior of the circuit by determining the rate at which the current in the inductor changes. A shorter time constant will result in a more rapid change in current, while a longer time constant will result in a slower change.

5. How is inductor circuit time constant used in practical applications?

Inductor circuit time constant is used in various practical applications, such as in electronic filters, power supplies, and motor control circuits. It is also used in the design and analysis of communication systems, where it helps determine the bandwidth and frequency response of a circuit.