Solving Inductor Circuit Homework Problems

In summary: I get that but like what's the correlation with the 70 ohm resistor and the 15 mH?The 70 ohm resistor is connected between the 15.0 mH inductor and the switch.
kuruman said:
Think again. If some of the current went into the right branch, then some of that current would have to go through the 60 Ω. Now Ohm's law says V = IR which means that there must be a potential difference across the 60 Ω if current flows through it. But that can't be because the potential difference across the straight wire (which the same as the potential difference across the 60 Ω) is zero. Therefore ... ?
See that's where I'm lost. I understand that the potential difference would be zero but what is the straight side doing that makes the 60 ohm resistornhave the potential difference of zero? And what about the 30 ohm or 10 ohm would they have no potential difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any straight segment in a drawn circuit is by definition and convention an equipotential. This means that the potential difference between any two points on a segment connecting circuit elements is zero. For example, the potential at the positive end of the battery is the same along the wire all the way to the 10 Ω.

kuruman said:
Any straight segment in a drawn circuit is by definition and convention an equipotential. This means that the potential difference between any two points on a segment connecting circuit elements is zero. For example, the potential at the positive end of the battery is the same along the wire all the way to the 10 Ω.
Okay so your saying since the current would travel down where the the straight wire would be. There would be 0 potential difference and since that straight wire is parallel to the 60 ohm resistor the 60 ohm resistor will have 0 potential difference?

superslow991 said:
Okay so your saying since the current would travel down where the the straight wire would be. There would be 0 potential difference and since that straight wire is parallel to the 60 ohm resistor the 60 ohm resistor will have 0 potential difference?
Yes. The straight wire takes all the current so the equivalent circuit is just the battery and the 10 Ω. The 30 Ω and 60 Ω are in parallel with the straight wire but they draw no current.

Likes superslow991
kuruman said:
Yes. The straight wire takes all the current so the equivalent circuit is just the battery and the 10 Ω. The 30 Ω and 60 Ω are in parallel with the straight wire but they draw no current.
Hmm ok thanks a lot. Very appreciative. Still kinda iffy on the 30 and 60 ohm resistors being parallel to the straight wire

Last edited:
Edit*

superslow991 said:
Hmm ok thanks a lot. Very appreciative. Still kinda iffy on the 30 and 60 ohm resistors being parallel to the straight wire
Assume for a moment, that there is no wire. What would be the equivalent of the 30 and 60 ohm resistors?

cnh1995 said:
Assume for a moment, that there is no wire. What would be the equivalent of the 30 and 60 ohm resistors?
Hmm so if I'm reading right the 30 and 60 would be in series so are you trying to say where the 60 ohms are at it would be replaced by 90 ohms and thus it would be parallel to that straight wire to the left?

Last edited:
superslow991 said:
the 30 and 60 would be in series
No. They would be in parallel. And
superslow991 said:
it would be parallel to that straight wire to the left

Likes superslow991
cnh1995 said:
No. They would be in parallel. And
Ok could you please help me understand how the 30 and 60 ohms would be parallel cause I'm not seeing it

superslow991 said:
Ok could you please help me understand how the 30 and 60 ohms would be parallel cause I'm not seeing it
Replace the 15mH inductor with a wire. See the ends of the 30 ohm and 60 ohm resistance. Are they connected between the same two points?

Likes superslow991
cnh1995 said:
Replace the 15mH inductor with a wire. See the ends of the 30 ohm and 60 ohm resistance. Are they connected between the same two points?
By ends are you talking about the bottom point of the 60 ohm resistor and the edge of the 30 ohm resistor? if so then no they are not connected.

But what about when the current reaches up until the point where it can travel to the 30 ohm resistor or go down to the 60 ohm?

Replace the 15mH with a wire first.

superslow991 said:
By ends are you talking about the bottom point of the 60 ohm resistor and the edge of the 30 ohm resistor?
By ends, I mean the "terminals" of the resistors. For parallel connection, the four terminals ( two for each resistance) should be connected between the "same" two points.

cnh1995 said:
Replace the 15mH with a wire first.By ends, I mean the "terminals" of the resistors. For parallel connection, the four terminals ( two for each resistance) should be connected between the "same" two points.
ok so if I am reading this right. The 60 ohms terminal goes up and down. the 60 ohms terminal that's above is at the same point of the 30 ohms terminal to the left?? now the 30 ohms terminal to the left is in the same point of the 60 ohm terminal above? now the 30 ohms terminal to the right go down then connects at the same point of the 60 ohms terminal down bottom since the 15 mH inductor will just be a straight wire?

so essentially the current can go through 60 ohms or 30 ohms but not both?

superslow991 said:
ok so if I am reading this right. The 60 ohms terminal goes up and down. the 60 ohms terminal that's above is at the same point of the 30 ohms terminal to the left?? now the 30 ohms terminal to the left is in the same point of the 60 ohm terminal above? now the 30 ohms terminal to the right go down then connects at the same point of the 60 ohms terminal down bottom since the 15 mH inductor will just be a straight wire?
Yes.
superslow991 said:
so essentially the current can go through 60 ohms or 30 ohms but not both?
I don't know what you mean by that. If the middle wire were not there, the current would flow through both the 30 and 60 ohm reistors. But since they are in parallel with the middle wire, no current flows in either of them. Look up 'current divider'.

cnh1995 said:
Yes.

I don't know what you mean by that. If the middle wire were not there, the current would flow through both the 30 and 60 ohm reistors. But since they are in parallel with the middle wire, no current flows in either of them. Look up 'current divider'.
hmm ok so now since the 30 and 60 ohm resistors are in parallel, they would be in parallel with the 40 mH inductor that is now a straight wire. the 40 mH inductor will have 0 potential difference so since it is in parallel with the 30 and 60 ohms resistors the 60 ohm resistor will have the potential difference of 0.

So i guess somewhat in the end the circuit should just have the voltage, and 10 ohm resistor?

superslow991 said:
So i guess somewhat in the end the circuit should just have the voltage, and 10 ohm resistor?
Right.

Likes superslow991
cnh1995 said:
Right.
Ok thanks a lot man