Inductor impedance

Hello, i just want to clarify, is there a difference between the inductor impedance or inductive reactance XL.

inductive reactance XL = 2pi*fL
is this the same for inductor impedance?

i see on an example where they ask you to calculate the reactance in a series RL circuit. V= 100, f= 50Hz, R= 12 and L = 0.1H.

They ask to calculate calculate the reactance and impedance of the coil.
XL = 2pi*fL and impedance (Z) = sqrt(R^2+ XL^2) thats what they use to solve it.

when i check online for inpedance calculator http://www.pronine.ca/indimp.htm they use the inductive reactance formula to calaulate Z.

am a bit confused here, can someone plz clarify some of this. I havent done the lectures for this yet. thanks.

Answers and Replies

The relationship V/I for an inductor and a capacitor is called REACTANCE. It is measured in ohms. The relationship V/I for a resistance is called RESISTANCE.....measured in ohms.
A combination of REACTANCE and RESISTANCE is known as IMPEDANCE....measured in ohms.
The reason for these terms is to identify that V and I are out of phase by 90 for inductance and capacitance whereas V and I are in phase for resistance.
Hope this helps

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A combination of REACTANCE and RESISTANCE is known as IMPEDANCE....measured in ohms.

i would only add that a PRACTICAL inductor will have some resistance in its windings.

That resistance does not appear in your 2∏fL and must be added to it if you require that accuracy.. which you will in yor coursework.