Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductor impedance

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    Hello, i just want to clarify, is there a difference between the inductor impedance or inductive reactance XL.

inductive reactance XL = 2pi*fL
    is this the same for inductor impedance?

i see on an example where they ask you to calculate the reactance in a series RL circuit. V= 100, f= 50Hz, R= 12 and L = 0.1H.

They ask to calculate calculate the reactance and impedance of the coil.
    XL = 2pi*fL and impedance (Z) = sqrt(R^2+ XL^2) thats what they use to solve it.

when i check online for inpedance calculator http://www.pronine.ca/indimp.htm they use the inductive reactance formula to calaulate Z.

am a bit confused here, can someone plz clarify some of this. I havent done the lectures for this yet. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2
    The relationship V/I for an inductor and a capacitor is called REACTANCE. It is measured in ohms. The relationship V/I for a resistance is called RESISTANCE.....measured in ohms.
    A combination of REACTANCE and RESISTANCE is known as IMPEDANCE....measured in ohms.
    The reason for these terms is to identify that V and I are out of phase by 90 for inductance and capacitance whereas V and I are in phase for resistance.
    Hope this helps

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i would only add that a PRACTICAL inductor will have some resistance in its windings.

That resistance does not appear in your 2∏fL and must be added to it if you require that accuracy.. which you will in yor coursework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook