Understanding Inductor Behavior in a Changing RL Circuit

• Thread starter Slava
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductor
In summary: This time is controlled by the inductance.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the resistor value and the current in a simple RL circuit connected to a battery source. It is assumed that the resistor value is decreasing linearly at a steady rate, causing the current to increase in the same manner. However, the buildup of voltage across the inductor opposes this change in current. The question is raised whether this voltage decreases the current or causes fluctuations that are not visible. The expert suggests that the current will have a delayed response to the change in resistance, dependent on the time constant of the circuit. The inductor does not stop the current from changing, but rather limits its rate of change.
Slava
Imagine simple RL circuit connected to a battery source. Let's assume that we are decreasing the resistor value linearly in a constant steady rate. This will make the current being increased linearly. Thus the current will be increasing in an inductor and it will cause a voltage to build up across the inductor which will oppose a further change in current. But will this voltage across the inductor decrease the current in a circuit? Why the current will still be inreasing in the same constant steady rate while the resulting voltage in a circuit has been changed.

Why the voltage which builds up doesn't change the current? Or may be it actually changes the current which changes the voltage again and so on and we don't see these fluctuations?

Physics news on Phys.org
By what means do you linearly increase that current? There lies your answer.

By let's say some electronic circuit or let's assume that I can turn the knob of the resistor with a linear speed. Still don't get the answer :)

Sorry, I actually misread your initial post.

What makes you think the current will rise linearly alongside the lowering of the resistor? As you correctly point out, the coil will resist the change in current through a voltage at its terminals. So, the current will have a delayed response to the change in the resistor.

Could you please clarify on this please. What do you mean by saying the current will have a delayed response? I see that I am missing something

Interesting question. I have never worked this kind of problem before. I would have to run the numbers to know, but I suspect it would depend on how quickly you changed the resistance compared to the time constant of the RL circuit.

By saying that the inductor opposes changes in current. Does it actually stop current from changing?

Slava said:
By saying that the inductor opposes changes in current. Does it actually stop current from changing?

No. It merely reduces how fast the current can change. With 0 inductance the current could change at any rate. But a real circuit always has non-zero inductance and there is a limit to how fast the current can change.

It's simplest to explain with when you sharply change the resistance. The current will asymptotically approach the final value as dictated by the resistor. But it will take some time for it to reach that value.

1. What is an inductor maze?

An inductor maze is a circuit puzzle that uses inductors to create a maze-like pattern. It involves manipulating the inductors to guide a signal through the maze and reach a designated endpoint.

2. How does an inductor maze work?

An inductor maze works by utilizing the properties of inductors, such as their ability to store and release energy, to create a circuit that requires specific paths to be followed in order to complete the maze.

3. What are the benefits of solving an inductor maze?

Solving an inductor maze can improve problem-solving skills, enhance understanding of circuitry and electrical components, and provide a fun and challenging activity for students and enthusiasts alike.

4. Are there any real-life applications of inductor mazes?

Inductor mazes have practical applications in engineering and electronics, such as in the design and testing of circuits, as well as educational purposes in teaching about electrical principles and components.

5. How can I create my own inductor maze?

To create an inductor maze, you will need a circuit board, inductors, resistors, a power source, and wires. You can follow online tutorials or design your own unique maze by experimenting with different circuit configurations and components.