Inductors and inductance and some other stuff

In summary, understanding the basic principles and breaking down the problem into smaller steps can help you approach difficult scientific problems. Don't be discouraged and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. With practice, you will improve.
Marioqwe

Homework Statement

A certain solenoidal inductor has a magnetic flux of 835 μWb through each loop of its coil when the current flowing through it equals 0.600 A. If the solenoid has 125 loops, what is its inductance?

Homework Equations

L = [(N)(magnetic flux)]/I

The Attempt at a Solution

L = (8.35e-4)(125)/0.6

L = 0.17H

Is there anything wrong?

Homework Statement

A sailboat with an aluminum mast 22.5 m high is sailing eastward along the equator at a speed of 3.66 meters per second. The Earth's magnetic field at the ship's location is 5.50×10−5 T, horizontal and directed due north. What is the induced potential difference between the top and bottom of the mast?

Homework Equations

V=LvB

V = (22.5)(3.66)(5.5e-5)
V = 0.0045T

It marks me wrong

Homework Statement

You have three parallel conducting rods. Two of them are very long, and the third is 10.0 m long, with a weight of 36.0 N. You wish to conduct the following levitation demonstration: The two long rods will be placed in a fixed horizontal orientation at the same height, 10.0 cm apart. The third rod is to float above and midway between them, 10.0 cm from each one (from an end view, the three rods will form the vertices of an equilateral triangle). You will arrange to pass the same current I through all three rods, in the same direction through the two "supporting" rods and in the opposite direction through the "levitating" rod. What is the magnitude I of the current that will maintain this astounding configuration?

Homework Equations

F = μ0(I1)(I2)(L)/[2(pi)R]

I'm really confused with this one. I still don't know how to approach it.

I asked my teacher for help and it seems that I'm really dumb I can't even understand this simple problems. He turned me down: "I am giving you the simplest problems in the world, and you fail them on a technicality." I'm having a hard time figuring out some of them.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

mario

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear mario123,

It's understandable to feel discouraged when faced with difficult problems, but don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time and practice to fully understand and master scientific concepts. Here are some tips to help you approach these problems:

1. Make sure you understand the basic principles involved in the problem. In the first problem, for example, you need to know the equation for inductance and how to apply it. Take some time to review these concepts before attempting the problem.

2. Write down all the given information and identify what you are trying to solve for. This will help you see the big picture and organize your thoughts.

3. Break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. In the second problem, for instance, you need to use the equation V=LvB, but you also need to know the length of the mast and the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field. Write down each step and make sure you understand how they all fit together.

4. If you get stuck, try looking at similar examples or asking for help from a friend, teacher, or tutor. Sometimes seeing a problem in a different context can help you understand it better.

Remember, it's okay to make mistakes and ask for help. Keep practicing and you will improve. Good luck!

1. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire wound around a core material. When an electric current flows through the inductor, it creates a magnetic field. The strength of this field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the inductor. This magnetic field then induces a voltage in the inductor, opposing the change in current flowing through it. This property of inductors is known as inductance.

2. What is the unit of inductance?

The unit of inductance is the Henry (H), named after the American scientist Joseph Henry. One Henry is equivalent to one volt-second per ampere (V·s/A).

3. What are some common applications of inductors?

Inductors are commonly used in electronic circuits for various purposes, such as filtering out high frequencies, storing energy, and creating oscillations. They are also used in power supplies, motors, generators, and transformers.

4. How do inductors affect the behavior of AC and DC circuits?

In DC circuits, inductors act as a short circuit, allowing the current to flow through without any opposition. In AC circuits, however, the behavior of inductors is more complex. As the current in an AC circuit changes direction, the magnetic field in the inductor also changes, inducing a voltage that opposes the change in current. This results in a phase shift between the voltage and current, which can affect the overall behavior of the circuit.

5. Can inductors be used to store energy?

Yes, inductors can store energy in the form of a magnetic field. When an inductor is connected to a power source, it stores energy in its magnetic field. This energy can then be released back into the circuit when the power source is removed, making inductors useful for applications such as voltage converters and energy storage devices.