Industrial Shelf for Standup Desk: How to Add an Extending Keyboard Shelf

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industrial
I googled it and found it.In summary, the conversation is about finding a cheap and functional solution for using a cabinet as a standup desk. The person is having trouble seeing their keyboard and is looking for ideas on how to create an extending shelf. Suggestions include using magnets on a lower metal shelf or purchasing a keyboard drawer from an office supply store.
member 428835
Hi PF! I'm using this cabinet as a standup desk, so my computer is on the top and my keyboard is on one of the lower shelves.

Since the shelves are covered from the top, I can't see my keyboard. I am proficient at typing without looking except when it comes to special characters. Does anyone have an idea where to buy or how to build an extending shelf that slides out?

Even if it's a "ghetto" solution, I'm all for it. (I'm just a grad student looking for a cheap, functional solution).

Thanks!
shelf.jpg

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 442
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using all of the lower metal shelves? If not, pull one out and use magnets to give you an extendable shelf for your keyboard... :smile:

EDIT -- It looks like if you pull a bottom shelf out and turn it upside down with flat magnets between it and your keyboard shelf, you should end up with a pretty good adjustable keyboard shelf. Just be sure to keep your credit cards away from the magnets... :smile:

Likes member 428835
Keyboard Drawer... from an Office Supply store or that BIG mail order firm named after a river. USD$25 and up.

Likes member 428835 and anorlunda
Tom.G said:
Keyboard Drawer... from an Office Supply store or that BIG mail order firm named after a river. USD$25 and up.
Hahahaha at first I was wondering what firm you were talking about, but then I realized it was a prime idea

Likes Tom.G

What is an industrial shelf for a standup desk?

An industrial shelf for a standup desk is a sturdy and durable shelf that can be attached to a standup desk to provide additional storage space or support for equipment, such as a keyboard or monitor.

Why would someone need to add an extending keyboard shelf to their standup desk?

Adding an extending keyboard shelf to a standup desk can provide a more comfortable and ergonomic workspace, as it allows for proper positioning and support for the wrists and arms while typing. It can also free up desk space and keep the keyboard at a more accessible height.

What are the steps to add an extending keyboard shelf to a standup desk?

The specific steps may vary depending on the type of standup desk and shelf, but generally, the process involves attaching the shelf brackets to the desk, installing the shelf supports, and then attaching the shelf to the supports. It is important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for proper installation.

Can an industrial shelf for a standup desk support heavier equipment?

Yes, an industrial shelf for a standup desk is designed to be strong and durable, capable of supporting heavier equipment such as multiple monitors or a large keyboard. However, it is important to check the weight capacity of the shelf before adding any equipment to ensure it will not cause damage or instability.

Are there any considerations to keep in mind when adding an extending keyboard shelf to a standup desk?

Yes, it is important to consider the size and weight of the shelf and the equipment it will support. It is also important to ensure that the shelf is properly attached and stable to prevent any accidents or damage. Additionally, it may be helpful to adjust the height and angle of the shelf to find the most comfortable and ergonomic position for the user.