Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Industrial wireless

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1
    hello ppl....
    I have been give the topic "industrial wireless" to research on and i am really confused about how wireless communication is established in an industry. :confused:

This is with respect to communicating between different sensors to convey information about the working of different equipments like pumps to an operator! How can it be linked to computer networking?? is it wireless sensor network??

Feel free to ask questions about the topic! am all ears!

Any ideas or help will be great!!

looking forward to getting response....

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Here are some search terms for google or wikipedia or your favorite search engine:

RF Mesh Networking
    Zigbee
    RF ISM Band

Try those, and see what kinds of questions you end up with.

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

Is this for schoolwork?

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

This will keep you going for a while:

http://www.reliableplant.com/Article.aspx?pagetitle=DOE,%20industry%20create%20new%20generation%20of%20wireless%20sensors&articleid=8799 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jul 15, 2009 #5
    Thank you berkeman....

my fav. search engine is google and i will check out your suggestions!

7. Jul 15, 2009 #6
    I have finished my school ! :biggrin:

8. Jul 15, 2009 #7

w8s dis reliableplant site about?? it looks really advanced.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jul 15, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

It's about flexibility in industrial sensing, with wireless sensors that can be put in place with no cable-trays, cables, etc. Flexibility, ease of re-configuration, etc can save time and money, and help industrial plants identify problems.

10. Jul 15, 2009 #9
    sounds kool..but after i typed in the link u gave me i jus got lost through the site....w8 shld i type for search?

11. Jul 15, 2009 #10

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do not use txt speak here. Please type out the words. See the "Rules" link at the top of this page.

12. Jul 15, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

There are links to manufacturers of remote sensors and wireless networks throughout that page. Detailed information is available on their sites.

13. Jul 15, 2009 #12

vk6kro

Science Advisor

A good example of telemetry is the information being sent from a race car to the mechanics in the pit.

Sensors read things like oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, vehicle acceleration and speed and assemble these numbers and send them in the right order to be put onto a radio carrier and transmitted.

These may just be in the form of ASCII characters (which is a simple 7 or 8 bit code) which can be read easily at the receive end by taking the output of a receiver through a modem to the serial port of a computer. They can then be displayed in a graphical form to look like the instrument you might use to read them if you were in the car.
    So, you might have a digital speedometer, but you would also have a chart recorder showing accelleration and speed around the whole course.

From this mechanics can work out that something needs to be replaced and have it ready when the car comes in to change tyres.

This is just one example. It is often difficult to run wires to a sensor and wireless signals can be used to make the job cheaper and easier. You might have a wind speed meter on an island and want to get the information to a central weather station. Putting wires under the water would be very expensive so you use a wireless (radio) connection.

14. Jul 16, 2009 #13
    Thank you turbo-1 !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook