Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inedible Monosaccharides?

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    For example, lactose-intolerant humans cannot process/digest lactose.
    Neither can we digest cellulose.

But for the most "tolerant" humans,
    are there certain monosaccharides that humans cannot digest?

*What monosaccharides are inedible to humans?
    (and not just for those who are lactose-intolerant)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2
    They are still edible, but just not metabolizable. Cellulose is a polymer.
  4. Nov 17, 2005 #3
    Yes, I know, cellulose (a polysaccharide) is a polymer of glucose :rolleyes:

But my question is:

What monosaccharides cannot be metabolized by humans?

Not considering special "-intolerant" types, which monosaccharides simply cannot be metabolized by humans?
    :blusing: Even among the most *tolerant* types?
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  5. Dec 4, 2005 #4
    Any monosaccharide that can be converted so it can fit into glycolysis can be metabolized. None of the monosaccharides naturally found in food are un-metabolizable. If we can break down the polysaccharide, we can find a way of converting all the monosaccharides into energy (although sometimes more and sometimes less than glucose). There probably are monosaccharides you can make in a lab that we can't digest because we don't have the enzymes to convert them into something usable.
  6. Jan 17, 2006 #5
    does it have anything to do with L or D structure?the one that cannot be metabolised are the one that are not recognised by the normal body enzymes (or due to lack of that enzyme)...and since they're specific for one kind of structure...correct me if i'm wrong!
  7. Jan 27, 2006 #6
    By the way,

*What features would an un-metabolizable monosaccharide possess?

*What (structural) characteristics might cause a monosachharide to be un-metabolizable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?