1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic ball problem

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Now the racquet ball is moving straight toward the wall at a velocity of vi = 12.4 m/s. The ball makes an inelastic collision with the solid wall and leaves the wall in the opposite direction at vf = -8.2 m/s. The ball exerts the same average force on the ball as before. Mass of ball =.247 kg

2. Relevant equations
    What is the magnitude of the change in momentum of the racquet ball?

3. The attempt at a solution
    so I took
    m*v(initial)=m*v(final) and got 3.0628 and -2.0254 respectively. so I subtracted the two and got -5.0882. I dont feel like this is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is incorrect is to say m*v(initial)=m*v(final) because that is simply not true. It is correct to say that the change in momentum Δ(mv)=m*v(final)-m*v(initial), so if the final momentum is negative and the initial momentum is positive, you end up essentially adding two negative numbers and that's that.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Many strange "formulae" and calculations, but probably almost the correct answer.

Generally change in a quantity means Final - Initial [which you actually ended up doing!!].

Depending which direction you decide to call positive will mean a final answer of -5.etc, like you got in an unusual way, or +5.etc.

The question only asked for the magnitude of the change, so the question of a +ve or -ve answer is irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook