Calculating Change in Kinetic Energy for 1D Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a one-dimensional elastic collision between a 2kg object moving at 5m/s and a 4kg object moving at 1m/s in the same direction. The question asks for the resulting change in kinetic energy of the 4kg object. The suggested equations to use are K=1/2 m*v^2 and m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)V. It is advised to find the new velocity using the equation for elastic collisions and then calculate the difference in kinetic energy.
dbb2112

Homework Statement

A 2kg object moving 5m/s in the positive x direction has a one dimensional elastic collision with a 4kg object moving at 1m/s in the same direction. What is the resulting change in kinetic energy of the 4 kg object?

Homework Equations

K=1/2 m*v^2 m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)V

The Attempt at a Solution

after solving for V would i just plug that into the kinetic energy and subtract it from the original kinetic energy of the 4kg object?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you find V correctly then yes, you can just find the new kinetic energy of the 4 kg object and calculate the difference.'

EDIT: Although I wouldn't trust your stated equation for finding the new velocity. If you look at your original post, the words "elastic collision" have been underlined. Try following that link, it should have the relevant equation.

o wow i read that wrong.

so i would use m1v1+M2V2=M1V1'+M2V2' but i do not know either of the final velocities?

OK, I need to know: Your thread title says "inelastic collision" but your 1st post says "elastic collision." Which is it?

What is an inelastic collision in 1D?

An inelastic collision in 1D is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects will stick together and move with a common velocity.

What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other and retain their individual velocities. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and the objects typically stick together and move with a common velocity.

How is the momentum conserved in an inelastic collision 1D?

In an inelastic collision in 1D, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision.

Can you calculate the final velocities of the objects in an inelastic collision 1D?

Yes, the final velocities of the objects can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the coefficient of restitution, which represents the amount of energy lost during the collision.

What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions in 1D?

A common example of an inelastic collision in 1D is when a car collides with a wall or another car. The total kinetic energy of the car is not conserved and the car typically sticks to the object it collided with. Another example is when a baseball is hit by a bat - the bat and the ball stick together and move with a common velocity after the collision.