How far does a putty block compress a spring after an inelastic collision?

In summary, the problem involves a 0.440 kg block attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 23.0 N/m, resting on a frictionless surface. A 5.90*10^-2 wad of puddy hits the block with a speed of 2.50 m/s and sticks. The question asks for the distance that the block-puddy system compresses the spring. The relevant equations are U=0.5kx^2 and the conservation of energy. By finding the final velocity of the block-puddy system and setting that equal to the potential energy of the spring, the distance of compression can be calculated.
jwang023

Homework Statement

A 0.440 kg block is attached to a horizontal spring that is at its equilibrium length, and whose force constant is 23.0 N/m. The block rests on a frictionless surface. A 5.90*10^-2 wad of puddy is thrown at the block, hitting it with a speed of 2.50 m/s and sticking. How far does the putty block system compress the spring?

Homework Equations

I wrote down the equation for springs. U= 0.5kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a picture and figured out the momentum of the puddy onto the block, but not sure what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the velocity of the block-puddy system.

ehild

I have found the velocity of the puddy block. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time relating it back to the spring constant.

After collision, the forces are conservative, as the friction does not count. The block and puddy together have some kinetic energy. They push the spring and the spring exerts force on them, and the total energy of the moving mass + spring is conserved. On what depends the energy of the spring?

ehild

Ok I get it. I went and found the Kinetic energy of the block/puddy after I found the final velocity of the two. Since you said that they were conserved I set the K=Uspring. and solved for x after converting meters to centimeters. Thanks for the help! :)

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved will have a different total kinetic energy compared to before the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

Momentum is still conserved in an inelastic collision, meaning that the total momentum of the objects before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, inelastic collisions involve objects sticking together or deforming, so the individual momenta of the objects may change.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects involved will have the same total kinetic energy and individual momenta before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and the objects will have a different total kinetic energy after the collision.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating that the objects do not bounce off each other and some energy is lost during the collision.

5. How is the law of conservation of energy applied in inelastic collisions?

The law of conservation of energy still applies in inelastic collisions, but it is modified to include non-conservative forces such as friction. This means that the total energy before the collision will still be equal to the total energy after the collision, but some of the energy will be converted into other forms, such as heat or sound.