What are the velocity components after an inelastic collision in 2D?

In summary, the problem involves two balls of equal mass colliding with one another. The first ball is moving with velocity v_1 and the second ball is stationary. The angle between them is given by \alpha=30^\circ. The goal is to find the magnitude and direction of the velocity after the collision. The equations for conservation of energy and momentum are used, resulting in the answers of 0.5v_1sin\alpha for velocity perpendicular to the plane and vcos\alpha for velocity parallel to the plane. However, the answer given in the problem is different, indicating a potential mistake in the solution. Further clarification on the specific circumstances of the collision may be necessary.
corvus606

Homework Statement

Two balls od the same masses collide, the first one is moving with the velocity [tex]v_1[/tex], the second is stationary. The angle between them is given by the statement: "the direction of the velocity of the first ball forms an angle [tex]\alpha=30^\circ[/tex] with the plane of osculation of the balls after the collision"
I have to find magnitude and direction of the velocity after the collision.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{p_1}=\vec{p_2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m\vec{v_1}=(m+m)\vec{v_2}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v_2}=0,5\vec{v_1}[/tex]
[tex]v_{2x}=0,5v_{1x}=0,5v_1cos\alpha[/tex]
[tex]v_{2y}=0,5v_{1y}=0,5v_1sin\alpha[/tex]

4. The problem
Sounded good to me but the answer is:
velocity perpendicular to the plane: [tex]0,5v_1sin\alpha[/tex]
velocity parallel to the plane: [tex]vcos\alpha[/tex]
And I don't have any idea where did I make the mistake :/

Physics news on Phys.org
corvus606 said:

Homework Statement

Two balls od the same masses collide, the first one is moving with the velocity [tex]v_1[/tex], the second is stationary. The angle between them is given by the statement: "the direction of the velocity of the first ball forms an angle [tex]\alpha=30^\circ[/tex] with the plane of osculation of the balls after the collision"
I have to find magnitude and direction of the velocity after the collision.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{p_1}=\vec{p_2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m\vec{v_1}=(m+m)\vec{v_2}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v_2}=0,5\vec{v_1}[/tex]
[tex]v_{2x}=0,5v_{1x}=0,5v_1cos\alpha[/tex]
[tex]v_{2y}=0,5v_{1y}=0,5v_1sin\alpha[/tex]

4. The problem
Sounded good to me but the answer is:
velocity perpendicular to the plane: [tex]0,5v_1sin\alpha[/tex]
velocity parallel to the plane: [tex]vcos\alpha[/tex]
And I don't have any idea where did I make the mistake :/
Two things are conserved: energy and momentum.

Write out the equations that result from the conservation of energy and momentum. You are given the angle of one ball relative to the direction of the incident ball (30 degrees from that direction. At least that is what I am assuming from the peculiar wording you have given).

AM

The energy is not conserved in the inelastic collision ;)

corvus606 said:
The energy is not conserved in the inelastic collision ;)
Then you will have to explain the question better. What exactly happens after the collision?

AM

It isn't clearly stated but most probably the balls are moving "together" (they stick to each other) with a new velocity.

1. What is an inelastic collision in 2D?

An inelastic collision in 2D is a type of collision between two objects where there is a loss of kinetic energy and the objects stick together after impact. This means that the total momentum of the system is conserved, but the total kinetic energy is not.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision in 2D?

In an inelastic collision in 2D, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the vector sum of the momenta of the two objects involved in the collision is equal before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision in 2D?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision in 2D depends on the materials and masses of the objects involved, as well as the speed and angle of their collision. Generally, the more elastic the materials and the lower the speeds of the objects, the less energy will be lost in the collision.

4. How is an inelastic collision in 2D different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and there is a loss of kinetic energy as the objects stick together.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions in 2D?

Some examples of inelastic collisions in 2D include two cars colliding and sticking together, a person catching a ball and holding onto it, or a ball hitting the ground and not bouncing back up. These collisions are common in everyday life and can also be seen in sports, such as when a hockey player body checks another player causing them to stick together and fall to the ground.