Inelastic collision of ball with rotating beam (juggling robot)

In summary, the momentum transfer in a perfectly inelastic collision between a ball and a rotating beam can be solved using the principles of conservation of momentum and angular momentum. By setting up equations for the conservation of momentum in the tangential direction and the conservation of angular momentum, you can solve for the post-collision velocities and angular velocities of the ball and beam.
madsci

Homework Statement

I'm trying to build a "juggling" robot but I'm getting stuck on the dynamics of catching. The robot follows the dynamics and terminology of a similar one presented in the attached paper (equation 1). Basically, there is a circular ball flying through the air which lands (and rolls) on a pivoting beam. The beam has some angle [itex]\theta[/itex] and rotational rate [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]. After collision, since the ball's position is constrained to the surface, it is parameterized by where [itex]\phi[/itex], the angle to the ball w.r.t. the beam's local coordinate frame. The surfaces are frictionless, so rolling dynamics are ignored, but the rotational inertia of the beam is considered. My question is, exactly how is the momentum transferred in the (perfectly inelastic) collision? I want the component of the ball's pre-collision velocity that is tangential to the beam's surface to become the post-collision rolling velocity, and I want the component of the ball's pre-collision velocity that is normal to the beam's surface to transfer momentum to the beam, changing the beam's [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex].

Homework Equations

For a ball, momentum is [itex]p=m v[/itex], and for the beam, angular momentum is [itex]L=r\times p = I \omega[/itex].
I understand that with two free-moving balls, the momentum transfer associated with an inelastic collision is [itex]m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2 = (m_1 + m_2)v_{12}[/itex], but I don't understand how to apply that to a situation in which one of the masses is rotating about a fixed axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the full state pre-collision [itex]\left[\theta,x,y,\dot{\theta}_-,\dot{x}_-,\dot{y}_-\right][/itex], as well as the equations relating the ball's post-collision world coordinates to parameterized coordinates:
[itex]x=x(\theta,\phi)[/itex]
[itex]y=y(\theta,\phi)[/itex]
[itex]\dot{x}_+=\dot{x}_+(\theta+\phi,\dot{\theta}_++ \dot{\phi}_+)[/itex]
[itex]\dot{y}_+=\dot{y}_+(\theta+\phi,\dot{\theta}_++ \dot{\phi}_+)[/itex].
How do I use the dynamics, namely momentum, to solve for system's post-collision state?

Attachments

• Syroco06_Butterfly.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project with us! Based on the information you have provided, it seems like you are on the right track in terms of understanding the dynamics of the system. In order to solve for the post-collision state, you will need to use the principle of conservation of momentum and the equations for angular momentum.

First, let's consider the conservation of momentum in the tangential direction. As you mentioned, the component of the ball's pre-collision velocity that is tangential to the beam's surface will become the post-collision rolling velocity. This means that the tangential component of the ball's momentum will be transferred to the beam. So, using the equation you provided, we have:

m_b v_{b,t} + I_b \omega_b = (m_b + m_{beam})v_{beam,t}

Where m_b is the mass of the ball, v_{b,t} is the tangential component of the ball's pre-collision velocity, I_b is the moment of inertia of the ball, \omega_b is the angular velocity of the ball, m_{beam} is the mass of the beam, and v_{beam,t} is the tangential component of the beam's post-collision velocity.

Next, let's consider the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of the system before and after the collision will remain the same. So, we have:

I_b \omega_b + I_{beam} \omega_{beam} = I_b \omega_{b,final} + I_{beam} \omega_{beam,final}

Where I_{beam} is the moment of inertia of the beam, and \omega_{beam} is the angular velocity of the beam before and after the collision.

Now, using these two equations, you can solve for the post-collision velocities and angular velocities of the ball and beam. Keep in mind that the post-collision velocities of the ball will depend on the angle \phi and the post-collision angular velocity of the beam will depend on the angle \theta, so you will need to use the equations you provided for x and y to solve for these angles.

I hope this helps you solve for the post-collision state of your juggling robot. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which there is a transfer of kinetic energy between the colliding objects, resulting in a decrease in their combined kinetic energy. This means that after the collision, the objects will continue to move together as a single unit rather than bouncing off each other.

2. How does a juggling robot perform an inelastic collision with a ball?

A juggling robot is designed to have a rotating beam that can make contact with a ball. When the beam strikes the ball, there is a transfer of kinetic energy between the two objects, resulting in an inelastic collision. The robot's mechanisms then allow it to continue juggling the ball while maintaining contact with the beam.

3. Why is the inelastic collision of a ball with a rotating beam important in juggling robots?

The inelastic collision of a ball with a rotating beam is important in juggling robots because it allows the robot to maintain control of the ball while juggling. The transfer of kinetic energy ensures that the ball stays in contact with the beam and does not bounce away, allowing for a smooth and continuous juggling motion.

4. How does the speed of the rotating beam affect the inelastic collision with the ball?

The speed of the rotating beam can affect the inelastic collision with the ball in several ways. A faster rotating beam will result in a greater transfer of kinetic energy, making the collision more forceful. However, if the beam is too fast, it may cause the ball to bounce off instead of sticking to it. It is important to find the right balance in the speed of the beam for successful juggling.

5. What other factors can influence the inelastic collision of a ball with a rotating beam in juggling robots?

Other factors that can influence the inelastic collision of a ball with a rotating beam in juggling robots include the material and surface of the ball and beam, the angle at which the beam strikes the ball, and the weight and size of the ball. These factors can affect the transfer of kinetic energy and the overall performance of the juggling robot.