Inelastic collision problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a car right before a collision by using conservation of momentum. However, since one of the velocities is unknown, the individual is considering using conservation of energy. It is suggested to use work-energy to find the velocity of the two cars immediately after the collision. This is done by setting the kinetic energy of the cars equal to the work done by friction. Conservation of momentum is also used in the equation to relate the velocities of the two cars.
formulajoe
A car weighing 900 kg is waiting at a stop sign. A car weighing 1200 kg hits the oter car. The cars move .76 m after the collision. The coefficient of friction between the sliding tires and the pavement is .92. I need to find the speed of the car right before the collision.
I don't know what to use. Conservation of momentum doesn't work because I need at least one of the velocities.I can get the work done by friction fairly easily. But i can't get anywhere from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy (after the collision).

but using conservation of energy won't work because the final velocity is zero so that sets one side to zero. leaving the other side just 1/2mv^2. I am trying to find the v.

It's implied that this is a totally inelastic collision (the cars stick together). You can use work-energy to find the velocity of the two cars immediately after the collision:

.5*M*(v')2 = μMgd

where M is the total mass (1200+900), v' is the velocity immediately after the collision, μ is the coefficient of friction, and d is the distance the cars slide.

From conservation of momentum, you have mv = Mv', where m is the mass of the first car and v is what you're trying to find.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved, and some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system after the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is still conserved despite the loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the individual momenta of the objects involved may change due to the transfer of energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision depends on factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the material properties of the objects, and the angle of collision. Objects with greater mass and velocity are more likely to lose more energy in a collision.

4. How can we calculate the coefficient of restitution in an inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of a collision, can be calculated by dividing the relative velocity of the objects after the collision by the relative velocity before the collision. This value is often denoted by the symbol e and ranges from 0 (completely inelastic) to 1 (completely elastic).

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Inelastic collisions are common in everyday life. Some examples include a car crash, a ball bouncing on a hard surface, and a person catching a ball. In these scenarios, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the deformation of the objects involved or the conversion of energy into other forms such as sound or heat.