1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic collision question

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    A 16 g bullet strikes and becomes embedded in a 1.30 kg block of wood placed on a horizontal surface just in front of the gun. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.22, and the impact drives the block a distance of 8.5 m before it comes to rest, what was the muzzle speed of the bullet?

Is there anthor equation i can use besides the conservation of momentum
    mv=(m+M)v' I can't use conservation of energy because its inelastic right? So what can I do help please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

[tex] v^2 = v_{o}^2 + 2a \Delta x [/tex]

and Newton's 2nd Law to get the acceleration

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]
  4. Nov 13, 2004 #3

Homework Helper

You can't use conservation of kinetic energy.
    Use can use conservation of energy.
  5. Nov 13, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Split your problem in two:
    1. Assume that after the collision is finished, the system begins moving with some velocity [tex]v_{0}[/tex]
    Determine [tex]v_{0}[/tex] with Cyclovenom's first equation.
    2. You may now use momentum conservation during the collision phase to determine the muzzle speed (assuming the bullet did not meet any air resistance in the phase between it is shot out until the collision begins)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?