Solving Clay Collision: Final Speed & Swing Height

In summary, the problem involves a 2kg lump of clay colliding with and sticking to a 5kg lump of clay at rest. The final speed of the new lump of clay can be found using the conservation of momentum, and the height the clay will swing after the collision can be determined using the equation v=(2gh)^1/2. The correct answer is h=1.66m, but the initial calculation of h=5.825m is incorrect due to not taking into account that energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision.
lemonlimesoap

Homework Statement

A 2kg. lump of clay traveling at a speed of 20m/s collides with and sticks to a 5kg. lump of clay initially at rest and hanging from a string. Find the final speed of the new lump of clay. How high will the clay swing after the collision?

(initial)
m1=2kg.
v1=20m/s

(final)
m2=2kg.+5kg.=7kg.
v2=?

Homework Equations

KEi=PEf

KEi=1/2(m1)(v1)^2

PEf=(m2)(g)(h)

v=(2gh)^1/2

P=mv - I'm pretty sure you don't need this one

The Attempt at a Solution

KEi=PEf
(1/2)(2kg.)(20m/s)^2=(7kg.)(9.81m/s^2)(h)
solve for h=?
h=5.825m

solve for v2=?
v2=(2gh)^1/2
v2=10.69m/s

According to the answer given by my teacher h=1.66m if this is correct please show me how.

Physics news on Phys.org
posted in the wrong section by accident, admins can move it if they want.

lemonlimesoap said:

Homework Statement

A 2kg. lump of clay traveling at a speed of 20m/s collides with and sticks to a 5kg. lump of clay initially at rest and hanging from a string. Find the final speed of the new lump of clay. How high will the clay swing after the collision?

(initial)
m1=2kg.
v1=20m/s

(final)
m2=2kg.+5kg.=7kg.
v2=?

Homework Equations

KEi=PEf

KEi=1/2(m1)(v1)^2

PEf=(m2)(g)(h)

v=(2gh)^1/2

P=mv - I'm pretty sure you don't need this one

The Attempt at a Solution

KEi=PEf
(1/2)(2kg.)(20m/s)^2=(7kg.)(9.81m/s^2)(h)
Here is your error. In an inelastic collision, energy is NOT conserved. Use conservation of momentum to find the velocity of both lumps of clay immediately after the collision and use that rather than "20 m/s".

solve for h=?
h=5.825m

solve for v2=?
v2=(2gh)^1/2
v2=10.69m/s

According to the answer given by my teacher h=1.66m if this is correct please show me how.

1. What is "Solving Clay Collision: Final Speed & Swing Height"?

"Solving Clay Collision: Final Speed & Swing Height" is a scientific experiment that studies the collision between a clay ball and a hard surface, and how the final speed and swing height of the clay ball are affected by different factors such as the initial height and mass of the ball.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, and to apply them in a real-life scenario. It also aims to improve our understanding of the factors that affect the outcome of a collision and how they can be manipulated.

3. What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a clay ball, a hard surface, a meter stick, a stopwatch, and a scale to measure the mass of the clay ball. You may also need a video camera to record the collision for more accurate data analysis.

4. How do you perform this experiment?

First, measure the mass and initial height of the clay ball. Then, release the ball from the desired height and record the time it takes for the ball to hit the hard surface. Next, use the data to calculate the final speed of the ball using the equation v=gt, where v is the final speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. Repeat the experiment for different initial heights and analyze the results.

5. What are the possible sources of error in this experiment?

The possible sources of error in this experiment include human error in measuring the mass and initial height of the clay ball, air resistance affecting the speed of the ball, and imperfections on the surface of the ball or the hard surface. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to minimize the impact of these errors.