1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic Collision with Pendulum and Ball; finding force and work

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did a lab today in Physics in which we launched ball from a spring loaded cannon directly into a pendulum that captured the ball, held it, and swung upwards with it (representing a totally inelastic collision). One question that confuses me:

> How much work did you do in joules in compressing the spring of the spring gun for the long-range case? Which law of conservation is your answer based upon?

Some additional information: the long-range case is where we fired the ball at it's maximum speed (which I've calculated to be 4.79 m/s^2.

2. Relevant equations
    E = K + U = 0
    initial momentum = final momentum
    m(v_initial) = (m + M)(v_final)
    K = (1/2)(m + M)v^2
    U = (1/2)kx^2 [for the spring]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm guessing the law of conservation to use here is for that of energy, in which K + U = 0, where K is kinetic and U is final energy. The system has all potential energy (no kinetic) when the spring is compressed, which is known as (1/2)kx^2, but I don't know k...

If any other information is needed, let me know. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted