1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic collision

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.0 kg object is moving at 5.0 m/s NORTHWEST. It strikes a 6.0 kg object that is moving SOUTHWEST at 2.0 m/s. The objects have a completely inelastic collision. The velocity of the 6.0 kg object post collision is:

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1+m2v1 = m1v2+m2v2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer to be 2.33 m/s at 14 degrees North of West. I don't know how to get there. I THOUGHT, since the collision is inelastic, the equation is m1v1+m2v1=(m1+m2)v, and solve for v. That tells me the velocity of both the objects to be 3.2 m/s. Then I think I have to approach this collision from a 2 dimension perspective... but without angle to go off of, I am lost! Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You most definitely must treat momentum as a vector. Treat north-south and east-west components separately. You are given all the angles that you need--translate southwest and northwest into angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?