1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic Collision

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Im confuse in this problem, please help me because im having a hard time in solving this problem. The problem goes like this:

A cart of A of mass 2.0[kg] which is moving at a speed of 7.0]m/s] on a horizontal floor collides with the object B of mass 5.0[kg] which is standing still on the floor. After that, A and B are united and start sliding. There is no friction between cart and floor and coefficient of sliding friction between cart and floor and the coefficient of sliding friction between B and floor is 0.20. Set the acceleration by gravity to 9.8[m/s²].

1. Find the speed of the object immidiately after collision.

I have solved the speed of object after the collision and i get 2.0 m/s

2. By solving the equation of motion find the acceleration and force acting between A and B.

i cant solve the 2nd part, how can i get the acceleration?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suspect that there is friction between the object and floor, but not between the cart and the floor. If so, compute the net force acting on the "cart+object" system after the collision. Then analyze the forces acting on each separately.

Use Newton's 2nd law.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?