Speed After Collision of Five Railroad Cars

In summary, two railroad cars traveling at 5 m/s collide with three railroad cars at rest. The cars link together and move further down the track, with a total mass of 5. The final velocity of the system can be found by using the equation Vf = m1V1i + m2V2i / m1 + m2, where m1 is the initial mass of 2 and m2 is the final mass of 5. Conservation of momentum can be used to solve for the final velocity.
Honda47
1. Two railroad cars traveling at 5 m/s collide with three railroad cars at rest. The cars link together and move further down the track. Assume each railroad car is identical to each other. What is the speed after the collision of all five cars.

This is the question I have and I see I need to use the equation:

Vf = m1V1i+m2V2i/m1+m2, I have the initial velocity 1 as 5 m/s and the initial velocity 2 as 0 but how do i express the masses...I appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use conservation of momentum to solve this problem, for the system:

m*v(initial) = m*v(final)

Your initial mass is 2, being measured in railroad cars, and your final mass is 5. Then you can plug in velocity to find the final velocity of the system.

~Lyuokdea

To calculate the final speed after the collision of all five cars, we can use the equation Vf = (m1V1i + m2V2i) / (m1 + m2). Here, m1 and m2 represent the masses of the two colliding cars, and V1i and V2i represent their initial velocities before the collision.

Since all five cars are identical, we can assume that they have the same mass and use the same value for m1 and m2. Let's say the mass of each car is m.

For the first two cars traveling at 5 m/s, we have m1 = m, V1i = 5 m/s.

For the three cars at rest, we have m2 = m, V2i = 0.

Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

Vf = (m * 5 m/s + m * 0) / (m + m)

= (5m) / (2m)

= 2.5 m/s

Therefore, after the collision, the five cars will have a final speed of 2.5 m/s. This is because the momentum of the two cars traveling at 5 m/s is transferred to the three cars at rest, resulting in all five cars moving together at a speed that is the average of their initial velocities.

1. What is the equation for calculating the speed after a collision of five railroad cars?

The equation for calculating the speed after a collision of five railroad cars is:
V = (m1v1 + m2v2 + m3v3 + m4v4 + m5v5) / (m1 + m2 + m3 + m4 + m5)
Where V is the final velocity, m is the mass of each car, and v is the initial velocity of each car.

2. How do the masses of the cars affect the speed after a collision?

The masses of the cars directly affect the speed after a collision. The larger the mass of a car, the more force it will exert during the collision. This means that a heavier car will cause a greater decrease in the speed of the other cars involved in the collision.

3. What other factors can affect the speed after a collision of five railroad cars?

Aside from mass, other factors that can affect the speed after a collision of five railroad cars include the initial velocities of the cars, the angle at which they collide, and any external forces acting on the cars during the collision.

4. Is it possible for the speed after a collision of five railroad cars to be greater than the speed of any individual car?

Yes, it is possible for the speed after a collision of five railroad cars to be greater than the speed of any individual car. This can occur when the initial velocities of the cars are high and they collide at an angle, resulting in a higher overall speed after the collision.

5. How can the speed after a collision of five railroad cars be minimized?

The speed after a collision of five railroad cars can be minimized by reducing the initial velocities of the cars, decreasing the mass of the cars, and ensuring that they collide at a perpendicular angle. Additionally, implementing safety measures such as bumpers or crumple zones on the cars can also help to minimize the speed after a collision.