Calculating Speed of Toyota After Collision with Cadillac

In summary, when a 1000kg Toyota collides with a 2200kg Cadillac at rest, the two cars skid forward 2.8m before stopping. Taking into account the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, we can calculate the initial velocity of the Toyota before the collision to be approximately 15 m/s. However, the correct answer for the speed of the Toyota at impact is 20 m/s. It is important to consider the problem as two separate processes - the collision and motion under the effect of friction - in order to accurately determine the initial velocity.
7tongc5
A 1000kg toyota collides into a 2200kg Cadillac at rest. The bumpers lock, the brakes are locked, and the two cars skid forward 2.8m before stopping. The coefficient of friction btwn tires and road = .4 ... what was the speed of the toyota at impact?
I don't know how to start it off (i don't know how i should set up equations while taking friction into account).
Any hints would be helpful. Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
7tongc5 said:
A 1000kg toyota collides into a 2200kg Cadillac at rest. The bumpers lock, the brakes are locked, and the two cars skid forward 2.8m before stopping. The coefficient of friction btwn tires and road = .4 ... what was the speed of the toyota at impact?
I don't know how to start it off (i don't know how i should set up equations while taking friction into account).
Any hints would be helpful. Thanks. :)

You should consider the problem as two separate process. The first is collision. It happens in such a very short time that both cars stay at the same place where they were just before the collision process. After the collision went on, both cars move with the same velocity. This velocity is determined by the law of conservation of linear momentum.
The second process is motion under the effect of friction. The wreck of the cars moves as a single body of mass 2200 kg + 1000 kg. You can calculate the force of friction, the deceleration due to friction, the displacement, the final velocity whis is zero, so you can figure out the initial velocity of the wreck. From that you get the initial momentum of the wreck which is equal to the initial momentum of the toyota as the cadillac had been in rest. From this momentum, dividing it by the mass of the toyota you get the velocity of the toyota before collision.

ehild

it's totally awesome that you laid out the steps, but i still managed to screw it up somehow: the answer's supposed to be 20 m/s

1) force of friction = .4(3200)(9.8) = 12,544
2) F = ma
12544 = 3200a --> a = -3.92 m/s2
3) v = v<initial>^2 + 2(-3.92)(2.8)
21.952 = v<initial> ^2
4.69 m/s = v<initial>
4) total momentum of wreck = 4.69 (3200) = 14992.948
4) 14992.948 = m<toyota> x v
v = 14.99 m/s

really appreciate your help, 7tongc5

Last edited:
7tongc5 said:
it's totally awesome that you laid out the steps, but i still managed to screw it up somehow: the answer's supposed to be 20 m/s

v = 14.99 m/s
really appreciate your help, 7tongc5

I got the same result as you.

ehild

1. How is the speed of a Toyota calculated after a collision with a Cadillac?

The speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac can be calculated using the formula v = (vf + vi)/2, where v is the final speed, vf is the final velocity of the Toyota, and vi is the initial velocity of the Cadillac.

2. What information is needed to calculate the speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac?

In order to calculate the speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac, you will need to know the final velocity of the Toyota and the initial velocity of the Cadillac. This information can be obtained from witness statements, vehicle data, and/or accident reconstruction.

3. Can the speed of a Toyota be calculated using just the damage caused by the collision?

No, the speed of a Toyota cannot be accurately calculated using just the damage caused by the collision. Other factors such as the weight and size of the vehicles, the road conditions, and the angle of impact also play a role in determining the speed of the Toyota after the collision.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for the speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac?

The speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac can be measured in various units, such as miles per hour (mph), kilometers per hour (km/h), or meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units when calculating and reporting the speed.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac?

The accuracy of the calculation of the speed of a Toyota after a collision with a Cadillac depends on the accuracy of the information used in the calculation, such as the final velocity of the Toyota and the initial velocity of the Cadillac. It is important to gather as much relevant and accurate data as possible to ensure a more precise calculation.