1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic Collisions

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects moving in opposite directions with the same speed undergo a totally inelastic collision, and half the initial kinetic energy is lost. Find the ratio of their masses, m1/m2.

2. Relevant equations

m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)vf
    The objects are moving in opposite directions with the same speed, so v1=-v2=v

3. The attempt at a solution

The part that gets me is the part that says half the kinetic energy is lost. Could someone explain how I factor that into the equations? If I just solve for m1/m2, plugging in 1/2v for vf(I don't know if that's right) I get 3, which is not the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
    If the collision were perfectly elastic, kinetic energy is conserved. But it is totally inelastic and 1/2 of the energy is lost. Therefore you can say:

.5 * m1 * v1^2 + .5 * m2 * v2^2 = (.5 * (m1 + m2)* vf^2) * .5

Then start cranking on the algebra to get m1/m2.

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    That makes sense. However, when I solve for m1/m2 I get (.5vf^2 + v^20/(v^2-.5vf^2) when I need an actual ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook