Inelastic/elastic collision?

• Thread starter ariana0923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: In this situation, the bullet and block of wood undergo an inelastic collision, where kinetic energy is not conserved. Using the formula (m1)(v1)i + (m2)(v2)i = (m1)(v1)f + (m2)(v2)f, the final velocity of the block is calculated to be 2.21 m/s. This collision is not completely inelastic, as the two bodies do separate in the end. Momentum conservation is the key to solving this problem. In summary, a bullet with a mass of 6.00 g is fired at an initial speed of 896 m/s through a 1.25 kg block of wood on a frictionless surface. After exiting the block,
ariana0923
Homework Statement

A bullet with a mass of 6.00 g is fired through a 1.25 kg block of wood on a frictionless surface. The initial speed of the bullet is 896 m/s, and the speed of the bullet after it exits the block is 435 m/s. At what speed does the block move after the bullet passes through it?

The attempt at a solution

Should I treat this as an inelastic collision even though the two items separate at the end?

If so, using the (m1)(v1)i + (m2)(v2)i = (m1)(v1)f + (m2)(v2)f formula, I got v2f (final vel. of block) = 2.21 m/s

Do you agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
ariana0923 said:
Should I treat this as an inelastic collision even though the two items separate at the end?

If so, using the (m1)(v1)i + (m2)(v2)i = (m1)(v1)f + (m2)(v2)f formula, I got v2f (final vel. of block) = 2.21 m/s
Looks good.

The collision is inelastic, because KE is not conserved. (Calculate it and see for yourself.) It's not a completely inelastic collision, because they do separate. In any case, all you need to solve it is momentum conservation.

ariana0923 said:

Most collisions result in the two bodies separating in the end; the case whereby the two bodies coalesce together is a special case of inelastic collisions - a perfectly inelastic collision.

What is the difference between inelastic and elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the objects involved stick together and move as one after the collision. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and retain their individual velocities.

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

How is kinetic energy affected in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together. The total kinetic energy after the collision is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision.

What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Examples of inelastic collisions include a car crash, a baseball hitting a bat, or two balls colliding and sticking together.

How can the coefficient of restitution be used to determine if a collision is elastic or inelastic?

The coefficient of restitution, which measures the ratio of the objects' velocities before and after the collision, can be used to determine if a collision is elastic (e=1) or inelastic (e<1).