Neutralising Acid with NaOH - Tips for Accurate Measurement

• Thread starter thearny
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of neutralizing an acid using NaOH. The speaker is struggling to control the titration with granular NaOH and is seeking advice on an easier method. The suggested solution is to use an indicator such as Phenolphthalein and titrate dropwise near the end point. Another suggestion is to create a titration curve and find the equivalence point. The standard procedure involves creating a solution of known molarity and titrating the unknown acid. Dilution of the base may also be necessary for accurate results.
thearny
I have recently entered the world of chemistry, and am required to neutralise an acid to the stoichiometric point using NaOH. Problem is I have granular NaOH and try titrating it, but keep missing under or over. Is there an easy way to control this that I do not know about?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No easy way. Standard way of finding end point is to titrate slowly against some indicator (Phenolphthalein will do in this case), dropwise near the end point - this way your mistake will be never larger then the drop.

Chemical calculators at www.chembuddy.com

did you try making a titration curve and try to find the equivalence point of the graph?

The standard procedure is to first make a solution of NaOH of 'known' molarity (note NaOH is quite hydroscopic). Second is to take an acid of know molarity and titrate the base to find it's real molarity. Once this is known you carefully (aka drop wise) titrate the unknown.

I forgot one part. You need to start with a relatively high concentration of a stock base solution. Depending on the statistics you want, you will need to due quantitative dilution of the base until the volume of base used in the titration is significant.

1. How do I accurately measure NaOH for neutralizing acid?

To accurately measure NaOH for neutralizing acid, it is important to use a precise measuring instrument such as a graduated cylinder or a digital scale. It is also crucial to calibrate the instrument before use and to make sure it is free of any contaminants.

2. What is the ideal concentration of NaOH for neutralizing acid?

The ideal concentration of NaOH for neutralizing acid varies depending on the strength of the acid and the desired pH level. However, a general rule of thumb is to use a 1:1 molar ratio of NaOH to acid for a neutralization reaction.

3. How should I handle NaOH when neutralizing acid?

NaOH is a strong base and can cause chemical burns if it comes into contact with skin. Therefore, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles when handling NaOH. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.

4. Can I use any other substances to neutralize acid besides NaOH?

Yes, there are other substances that can be used to neutralize acid, such as baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and calcium carbonate. However, the effectiveness of these substances may vary depending on the strength of the acid.

5. How do I know when the acid has been completely neutralized with NaOH?

To determine when the acid has been completely neutralized with NaOH, you can use a pH indicator or a pH meter to monitor the pH level. A neutral pH is 7, so when the pH reaches 7 or is close to it, the reaction is complete. You can also perform a small test by adding a few drops of NaOH and observing if there is any visible reaction with the acid.