Can Inequalities be Proven with Simple Algebraic Manipulation?

In summary, the conversation is about the validity of the statement "If a < b and c < d then ac < bd" and the request for a proof. It is determined that the statement is not always true and a counterexample is provided. The correct statement is proposed to be "If a< b, c< d and either b and c are positive or a and d are positive then ac< bd." A suggestion is given to use the given inequalities to derive the desired result.
elle
Hi, can someone help me with the following question? I don't know how to approach the proof :confused:

If a < b and c < d then ac < bd is true, supply a proof.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
elle said:
Hi, can someone help me with the following question? I don't know how to approach the proof
If a < b and c < d then ac < bd is true, supply a proof.
Thanks!
It's not true !

let a = -2, b= -1 then a < b is true
let c = 0, d = 1 then c < d is true
but
ac = -2*0 =0
bd = -1*1 = -1
and
0 not < -1
so
ac < bd is not true

if a,b,c,d are all positive, then the statement is true

Oh so if a,b,c and d are all real numbers, does that mean the statement is true? How do I approach the proof :confused:

elle, do you know what a real number is ? I think you mean 'positive numbers.'

In any case, if the question is exactly as you've written it, then it is incorrect...and perhaps that's what you should say (rather than second-guess and try to reinterpret the question so as to make it correct) .

If a< b, c< d and either b and c are positive or a and d are positive then ac< bd.

From a< b and c positive you get ac< bc. from c< d and b positive what do you get? Can you combine them?

What is the meaning of "Proof of Inequalities: ac < bd"?

The statement "ac < bd" is an inequality that compares the product of two numbers, ac, to the product of two other numbers, bd. It means that ac is less than bd, and is commonly referred to as the "proof of inequalities."

Why is "Proof of Inequalities: ac < bd" important in science?

Inequalities play a crucial role in many areas of science, including economics, physics, and statistics. The statement "ac < bd" is a fundamental concept in these fields and is used to represent relationships between variables and their values. It allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on mathematical reasoning.

What is the difference between an inequality and an equality?

An inequality compares two values and indicates that one is greater than or less than the other. An equality, on the other hand, indicates that two values are exactly the same. Inequalities are used when there is a range of possible values, while equalities are used when there is only one specific value.

How do you prove "ac < bd"?

There are several methods for proving inequalities, but one common approach is to use algebraic manipulation. For example, if we start with the inequality ac < bd, we can multiply both sides by a positive number, c, to get ac*c < bd*c. Then, we can use the commutative and associative properties of multiplication to rearrange the terms and simplify the expression to a*c < b*d. This shows that ac is indeed less than bd.

Can "Proof of Inequalities: ac < bd" be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the concept of "ac < bd" can be applied to real-world situations. For example, it can be used to analyze and compare the prices of different products, the growth rates of populations, or the effectiveness of different treatments. Inequalities are also commonly used in decision-making and optimization problems in various industries and fields of study.