1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequalites help!

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Hi, can someone help me with the following question? I don't know how to approach the proof :confused:

If a < b and c < d then ac < bd is true, supply a proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

It's not true !

let a = -2, b= -1 then a < b is true
    let c = 0, d = 1 then c < d is true
    ac = -2*0 =0
    bd = -1*1 = -1
    0 not < -1
    ac < bd is not true

if a,b,c,d are all positive, then the statement is true
  4. Oct 20, 2005 #3
    Oh so if a,b,c and d are all real numbers, does that mean the statement is true? How do I approach the proof :confused:
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

elle, do you know what a real number is ? I think you mean 'positive numbers.'

In any case, if the question is exactly as you've written it, then it is incorrect...and perhaps that's what you should say (rather than second-guess and try to reinterpret the question so as to make it correct) .
  6. Oct 21, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a< b, c< d and either b and c are positive or a and d are positive then ac< bd.

From a< b and c positive you get ac< bc. from c< d and b positive what do you get? Can you combine them?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?