Inequalities: I am apparently bad with them

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to solving inequalities, specifically how multiplying by a negative number can change the inequality sign and the importance of considering the cases when the terms in the inequality are negative. The concept of critical points, where the numerator or denominator of a function is zero, is also introduced as a way to determine the intervals where a function is greater than or less than zero. The conversation also mentions the use of the 12 properties of numbers and definitions in approaching these problems.
Saladsamurai
Hello folks :smile:

I always thought that inequalities could be treated exactly like equations but somehow I seem to be loosing information or something. For example, if I wish to find all values of x for which the following is true:

1/x + 1/(1-x) > 0

I would 'solve' it as follows

1 + x/(1-x) > 0

x/(1-x) > -1

x > x-1

And here is where I fail. Solving any further results in the obvious: 0>-1.

What is it that I am doing wrong that does not allow me to 'solve' for all x that satisfy the inequality. Am I wrong in thinking that I should be able to.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Inequalities could be treated exactly like equations unless you are multiplying by a negative number, e.g. if we multiply 2>1 by -1, we have to change the "greater than" sign to a "less than" and get -2<-1. When you multiplied your equation by x and (x-1), you have to consider the cases when they are negative.

Here's how I would attempt this.

Combine the terms.

1/x + 1/(1-x) > 0
1/(x(1-x)) > 0

Solve for the critical points ( they're 0 and 1).

Now make a number line and test at each of the intervals (in this case, there are three) to see if they're greater than 0.

Look at the attachment.:smile: (little barbaric)

Note: closed interval at 0 and 1 due to it being undefined.

Attachments

• Inequality.png
    Inequality.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 462
dalcde said:
Inequalities could be treated exactly like equations unless you are multiplying by a negative number, e.g. if we multiply 2>1 by -1, we have to change the "greater than" sign to a "less than" and get -2<-1. When you multiplied your equation by x and (x-1), you have to consider the cases when they are negative.

Interesting. I missed that. However I am still having trouble seeing why the x 'falls out' upon solving the inequality in this case, but not in other cases. For example if I want to know all values for which x-1>3 I solve the inequality to get x>4. But in the case above, the x vanishes.

BloodyFrozen said:
Here's how I would attempt this.

Combine the terms.

1/x + 1/(1-x) > 0
1/(x(1-x)) > 0

Solve for the critical points ( they're 0 and 1).

Now make a number line and test at each of the intervals (in this case, there are three) to see if they're greater than 0.

Look at the attachment.:smile: (little barbaric)

Note: closed interval at 0 and 1 due to it being undefined.

Interesting. I am however having trouble seeing why there should be a connection between the critical points, which seem to be the points at which the denominator is zero, and the values of x which satisfy the inequality?

Thanks for the responses so far :smile:

If the x falls out of the inequality and you reach an inequality that holds, then the original inequality always holds! Trivial example:

x>=x simplifies to 0>=0, which always holds.

Saladsamurai said:
Interesting. I missed that. However I am still having trouble seeing why the x 'falls out' upon solving the inequality in this case, but not in other cases. For example if I want to know all values for which x-1>3 I solve the inequality to get x>4. But in the case above, the x vanishes.

Interesting. I am however having trouble seeing why there should be a connection between the critical points, which seem to be the points at which the denominator is zero, and the values of x which satisfy the inequality?

Critical points are points where the denominator OR the numerator is zero. Basically, for continuous functions, for an interval (a,b) between two adjacent critical points of a function f(x), for any x between a and b, f(x) will have the same sign.

Thus, if you find all the critical points of a function, and test at some point for every interval between them, you can find where a function is greater than or less than zero.

dalcde said:
If the x falls out of the inequality and you reach an inequality that holds, then the original inequality always holds! Trivial example:

x>=x simplifies to 0>=0, which always holds.

Hi dalcde :smile:

I always thought that too! However, my initial post proves otherwise.

Char. Limit said:
Critical points are points where the denominator OR the numerator is zero. Basically, for continuous functions, for an interval (a,b) between two adjacent critical points of a function f(x), for any x between a and b, f(x) will have the same sign.

Thus, if you find all the critical points of a function, and test at some point for every interval between them, you can find where a function is greater than or less than zero.

Hello Char. Limit :smile:

This makes sense intuitively. However, the problem comes from the 1st chapter of Spivak's Calculus. From what I hear, I am supposed to be able to 'solve' all of these problems using only the 12 properties of numbers and the definitions introduced in this chapter. I am trying to figure out how I can logically arrive at the correct answer to this problem by using only the given information in the chapter.

Since this is self study, I don't mind taking the extra tine to work through this, step by step. I am just not so sure how Spivak is thinking we should approach it.

Saladsamurai said:
Hi dalcde :smile:

I always thought that too! However, my initial post proves otherwise.

Hello Char. Limit :smile:

This makes sense intuitively. However, the problem comes from the 1st chapter of Spivak's Calculus. From what I hear, I am supposed to be able to 'solve' all of these problems using only the 12 properties of numbers and the definitions introduced in this chapter. I am trying to figure out how I can logically arrive at the correct answer to this problem by using only the given information in the chapter.

Since this is self study, I don't mind taking the extra tine to work through this, step by step. I am just not so sure how Spivak is thinking we should approach it.

Well, first thing I would do is multiply the first term by (1-x)/(1-x) (multiplying a single term by 1 is acceptable). Now, this wouldn't work if we were working in R, but due to the restrictions on the problem, we're working in R\{0,1}*, so this is acceptable. Multiply the second term by x/x, of course.

That gets us (1-x)/(x(1-x)) + x/(x(1-x)) > 0. Combining fractions gives us 1/(x(1-x))>0. From here, multiply both sides by x, and here you'll need to split the problem into two parts. The first part, for all x>0, will simply by 1/(1-x)>0. The second part, for all x<0, will be 1/(1-x)<0. Do you see why that is?

Saladsamurai said:

I always thought that inequalities could be treated exactly like equations but somehow I seem to be loosing information or something. For example, if I wish to find all values of x for which the following is true:

1/x + 1/(1-x) > 0

1 + x/(1-x) > 0

x/(1-x) > -1

x > x-1

What is it that I am doing wrong that does not allow me to 'solve' for all x that satisfy the inequality. Am I wrong in thinking that I should be able to.

To understand why the result of your solution is not the obvious 0>-1 but the following:

{[itex]x>0[/itex] AND [itex](1-x)[/itex]}[itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]{[itex]1+\frac{x}{1-x}>0[/itex] AND [itex]\frac{1-x}{x}+1>0[/itex]}.

You need to get into the structure of your solution in other words be able to write formal proofs for inequalities .

Coming now to how one would solve your inequality the usual way is the following:

(First of all the inequality holds for [itex] x\neq 0 ,x\neq 1[/itex])

1) Work 1st in the left hand side ,to avoid complications like the one you came upon.

Hence the equation becomes: [itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)}>0[/itex].

2) Now the solution is much simpler and using the theorems in inequalities : 1/Y => Y>0 and AB>0 => (A>0 & B>0) OR ( A<0& B<0) we have:

[itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)}>0\Longrightarrow x(1-x)>0\Longrightarrow [(x>0\wedge (1-x)>0)\vee(x<0\wedge (1-x)<0)][/itex][itex]\Longrightarrow (0<x<1)\vee (x<0\wedge1<x)\Longrightarrow 0<x<1[/itex]

Perhaps you will not undestand the last step

Char. Limit said:
Well, first thing I would do is multiply the first term by (1-x)/(1-x) (multiplying a single term by 1 is acceptable). Now, this wouldn't work if we were working in R, but due to the restrictions on the problem, we're working in R\{0,1}*, so this is acceptable. Multiply the second term by x/x, of course.

That gets us (1-x)/(x(1-x)) + x/(x(1-x)) > 0. Combining fractions gives us 1/(x(1-x))>0. From here, multiply both sides by x, and here you'll need to split the problem into two parts. The first part, for all x>0, will simply by 1/(1-x)>0. The second part, for all x<0, will be 1/(1-x)<0. Do you see why that is?

Dear ,Char

Can you please finish your way of solving the inequality ,because i tried , and i could not.

evagelos said:
Dear ,Char

Can you please finish your way of solving the inequality ,because i tried , and i could not.
Your not asking him to solve the problem, are you?

Evo said:
Your not asking him to solve the problem, are you?

Definetely not.

I said that i could not finish it the way he started it . I asked him ,if this possible of course , to help me in that respect.

Hi again Char. Limit :smile:

Char. Limit said:

The part in bold I don't quite understand. What do you mean that it wouldn't work in R ? Why can't we multiply by (1-x)/(1-x) ? Oh wait, I see what you mean. It does not hold for x = 1, so it would not hold for all R.

As a side note, what does the notation R\{0,1}* mean exactly? I have interpreted it to mean all of R excluding 1 and 0. Is this formal notation? And where is it typically first encountered (what class, set theory?)? I am trying to fill in a lot of gaps in my math background, so I started with Spivak and will fill in additional holes as I encounter them.

I will need to work at this a little more to see if I can work through this last part.

Thanks for your time (and patience :wink: )

Saladsamurai said:
Hi again Char. Limit :smile:

The part in bold I don't quite understand. What do you mean that it wouldn't work in R ? Why can't we multiply by (1-x)/(1-x) ? Oh wait, I see what you mean. It does not hold for x = 1, so it would not hold for all R.

As a side note, what does the notation R\{0,1}* mean exactly? I have interpreted it to mean all of R excluding 1 and 0. Is this formal notation? And where is it typically first encountered (what class, set theory?)? I am trying to fill in a lot of gaps in my math background, so I started with Spivak and will fill in additional holes as I encounter them.

Woops. I meant to have a footnote. (That's why the asterisk is there, it's not part of the notation). However, your interpretation was correct. R\{0,1} means the set of all real numbers, except for 0 and 1.

And as to the first paragraph, that's right. :)

I will need to work at this a little more to see if I can work through this last part.

Thanks for your time (and patience :wink: )

Keep pushing through. You just need to remember to consider both positive 1-x (or x) or negative 1-x (or x) in your problem.

Saladsamurai said:

I always thought that inequalities could be treated exactly like equations
You are mistaken. If a< b and c is negative then ac> bc. If c is 0, of course, ac= bc. As long as you are multiplying or dividing by constants, that is not a problem. But if you multiply or divide by something involving the "unknown", x, you do not know whether it is positive or negative.

Saladsamurai said:

If f is any continuous function and and takes on values f(a) and f(b) then it must take on all values between f(a) and f(b). Specifically, a function, f(x), can change from "< 0" to "> 0" only at points where f(x)= 0 or where f is NOT continuous. In particular, a rational function is equal to 0 only where the numerator is 0 and is discontinuous only where the denominator is 0.

HallsofIvy said:
You are mistaken. If a< b and c is negative then ac> bc. If c is 0, of course, ac= bc. As long as you are multiplying or dividing by constants, that is not a problem. But if you multiply or divide by something involving the "unknown", x, you do not know whether it is positive or negative.

If f is any continuous function and and takes on values f(a) and f(b) then it must take on all values between f(a) and f(b). Specifically, a function, f(x), can change from "< 0" to "> 0" only at points where f(x)= 0 or where f is NOT continuous. In particular, a rational function is equal to 0 only where the numerator is 0 and is discontinuous only where the denominator is 0.

Do you approve of the solution that Char.Limit suggested??

Saladsamurai said:

1/x + 1/(1-x) > 0

1 + x/(1-x) > 0

x/(1-x) > -1

x > x-1

x/(1- x)> -1 does NOT imply x> x- 1 because if b<0 a/b> c gives a< bc. Multiplying both sides of an inequality by a negative number reverses the direction of an inequality.

And with problems like this, since you do not know what x is, you do not know whether the quantity you are multiplying by is positive or negative. The best thing to do is look at the cases.

Since you want to multiply by 1- x, you have to consider:
1) 1-x> 0 (which is, of course, the same as x< 1)
Multiplying both sides of the inequality by 1- x is multiplying by a positive number so
x> -1(1- x)= x- 1. Subtracting x from both sides give 0> -1 which is a true statement no matter what x is. That is, the inequality is satisfied for all x< 1.

2) 1-x< 0 (which is, of course, the same as x> 1)
Multiplying both sides of the inequality by 1- x is multplying by a negative number so the inquality reverses. x< -1(1-x)= x- 1 which gives 0< -1 which is a false statement no matter what x is.

HallsofIvy said:
. That is, the inequality is satisfied for all x< 1.

How about the values : -2,-3,-4,-5,-6..... do they satisfy the inequality??

I tried the question with simplying and identifying critical points.

From the given inequality 1/x + 1/(1-x) > 0,
clearing fractions was done by multiplication by x(1-x). That with just a few simple steps gives
2x-2x^2 > 0.

Divide by 2 and factor to get x(1-x)>0

Critical Points appear to be x at 0 and x at +1. This means we can test points in the intervals of x<0, 0<x<1, and x>0. Which intervals make the Original Inequality to be true?

If you prefer working with polynomials than cases, then you might also prefer to solve it in this manner:

[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{1-x}>0[/tex]

Now to rid ourselves of the denominator in the first fraction, if we were to multiply through by x, then we aren't sure of the sign of x and we would have to take cases, but we are sure that x2 is always positive, so there would be no cases involved there.

So let's multiply through by x2(1-x)2 which is always positive ([itex]x\neq 0,1[/itex]) so we end up with

[tex]x(1-x)^2+x^2(1-x)>0[/tex]

And factorizing that further will give you a simple parabola. All you need to do is draw it on paper or in your head to find the solution.

HallsofIvy said:
x/(1- x)> -1 does NOT imply x> x- 1 because if b<0 a/b> c gives a< bc. Multiplying both sides of an inequality by a negative number reverses the direction of an inequality.

And with problems like this, since you do not know what x is, you do not know whether the quantity you are multiplying by is positive or negative. The best thing to do is look at the cases.

Since you want to multiply by 1- x, you have to consider:
1) 1-x> 0 (which is, of course, the same as x< 1)
Multiplying both sides of the inequality by 1- x is multiplying by a positive number so
x> -1(1- x)= x- 1. Subtracting x from both sides give 0> -1 which is a true statement no matter what x is. That is, the inequality is satisfied for all x< 1.

2) 1-x< 0 (which is, of course, the same as x> 1)
Multiplying both sides of the inequality by 1- x is multplying by a negative number so the inquality reverses. x< -1(1-x)= x- 1 which gives 0< -1 which is a false statement no matter what x is.

Certainly that is not solving out the inequality,BUT considering what happens to the inequality when 1-x>0 or 1-x<0

This is a high school inequality .

Evagelos solution is nice. I like it.

But I would have done it this way.
x (1-x) >0 so x - x^2 >0
So x > x^2
The solution is clearly 0 < x < 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but if we have a positive fraction, and we know nominator is positive, doesn't it mean denominator must be positive as well? In this case that would mean

[tex]\frac 1 {x(1-x)} > 0[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]x(1-x) > 0[/tex]

(we just have to remember this R\{0,1} part).

Or am I missing something?

Borek said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but if we have a positive fraction, and we know nominator is positive, doesn't it mean denominator must be positive as well? In this case that would mean

is equivalent to

[tex]x(1-x) > 0[/tex]

That looks right and since the inequality is non-zero it is invertible so you don't need to restrict the domain since your inequality does this.

The time when inequalities are usually reversed is when you invert both sides (as in the reciprocal) and also assuming that you can actually invert both sides and if this isn't true, then you can't do it.

Borek said:

is equivalent to

[tex]x(1-x) > 0[/tex]

Yes, and realize that it's equivalent to just multiplying both sides by [itex]x^2(1-x)^2=\left(x(1-x)\right)^2[/itex] which has to be positive (where it's zero the fraction is undefined).

evagelos said:
To understand why the result of your solution is not the obvious 0>-1 but the following:

{[itex]x>0[/itex] AND [itex](1-x)[/itex]}[itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]{[itex]1+\frac{x}{1-x}>0[/itex] AND [itex]\frac{1-x}{x}+1>0[/itex]}.

You need to get into the structure of your solution in other words be able to write formal proofs for inequalities .

Coming now to how one would solve your inequality the usual way is the following:

(First of all the inequality holds for [itex]/, x\neq 0 ,x\neq 1[/itex])1) Work 1st in the left hand side ,to avoid complications like the one you came upon.

Hence the equation becomes: [itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)}>0[/itex].

2) Now the solution is much simpler and using the theorems in inequalities : 1/Y => Y>0 and AB>0 => (A>0 & B>0) OR ( A<0& B<0) we have:

[itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)}>0\Longrightarrow x(1-x)>0\Longrightarrow [(x>0\wedge (1-x)>0)\vee(x<0\wedge (1-x)<0)][/itex][itex]\Longrightarrow (0<x<1)\vee (x<0\wedge1<x)\Longrightarrow 0<x<1[/itex]

Perhaps you will not undestand the last step

I am waking this thread up for a moment. I like this approach now (and I see that it is similar to Char.Limit's) and would like to clarify what I believe to be typos:

evagelos said:
{[itex]x>0[/itex] AND [itex]\mathbf{(1-x)}[/itex]}[itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]{[itex]1+\frac{x}{1-x}>0[/itex] AND [itex]\frac{1-x}{x}+1>0[/itex]}

The bold above should be: (1-x) > 0

And

evagelos said:

The bold above should be 1/Y > 0 => Y>0.

Correct? Yes. I think this all makes better sense re-looking at this problem.

Since 1/(x(1-x)) > 0 then x(1-x) > 0 [itex]x\ne 0\qquad x\ne1[/itex] which only holds if both x>0 AND x<1

OR if both
x<0 AND x>1 which can never hold.

So the solution must be 0<x<1 .

What are inequalities and why are they important?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two quantities or values. They are important because they help us understand and represent relationships between numbers and variables. Inequalities are used in many areas of mathematics and other fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

What are the symbols used in inequalities?

The most commonly used symbols in inequalities are <, >, ≤, and ≥. The symbol < means less than, > means greater than, ≤ means less than or equal to, and ≥ means greater than or equal to.

What are the steps for solving an inequality?

The steps for solving an inequality are similar to solving an equation:

1. Isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol.
  2. Perform the same operation on both sides of the inequality to maintain balance.
  3. If multiplying or dividing by a negative number, flip the inequality symbol.
  4. Simplify the inequality until you have the variable on one side and a constant on the other side.
  5. Graph the solution on a number line or use interval notation to represent the solution set.

What is the difference between solving equalities and inequalities?

The main difference between solving equalities and inequalities is that when solving an inequality, the solution is a range of values, rather than a single value. Inequalities also have a different set of rules, such as flipping the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

What are some real-life applications of inequalities?

Inequalities are used in various real-life situations, such as in determining the minimum and maximum values in production processes, setting budgets and financial plans, and analyzing data in statistics. Inequalities are also used in everyday situations, such as determining the maximum number of items you can buy with a certain amount of money or the minimum grade you need to pass a class.