1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequalities/limits question

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm proving the limit of an equation with the epsilon-N notation for negative infinity.

Here is the equation that I'm trying to prove.
    lim [tex]\frac{1}{x} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]x \rightarrow -\infty[/tex]

I get stuck at the inequality point.

So, let [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, N<0 (N is negative) such that

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{x} - 0\right| < \epsilon[/tex] whenever x<N

So, [tex]x > \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]

But we want N to be negative, so add a negative sign

[tex]x > -\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]

Now this is where I get confused.

I have that [tex]x > -\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex], yet I want x<N. If N is [tex]-\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex], then x not less than N. If x is not less than N, then wouldn't it be wrong to use [tex]-\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex] for N, because our x<N has not been satisfied. Or have I got an inequality wrong somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. You can't just "add a negative sign". Since we know that know that x is negative, |1/x|= -1/x and [itex]|1/x|< \epsilon[/itex] is immediately [itex]-1/x< \epsilon[/itex] and, multiplying both sides by the negative number [itex]x/\epsilon[/itex], [itex]-1/\epsilon> x[/itex]

Yes, you have the inequality wrong. "Add a negative" is not an algebraic operation. You have to be more careful with your manipulation of the absolute value.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?