1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inequalities ,my weak sense !

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

hy guys ,help me

prove if x<y and n is odd ,then xn<yn
    i have solved this . .but a question in below

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

if 0=or<x<y then xn<yn (i have proved this ) and if x<y<or=0 we can say 0=or<-y<-x it implies -yn<-xn last we can add both side with +xn and +yn we have xn<yn ..
    is proved is correct ? and what about if x<y<or=0 ( n is even ) how to prove this ?

thanx before ^_^

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2
    This is correct, or you can also use the fact that multiplying by [tex]-1[/tex] reverses inequalities, i.e., if [tex]A < B[/tex] then [tex]-B < -A[/tex].

You are missing the case where [tex]x < 0 < y[/tex].

In this case, the correct statement is different; try some values for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex], and you should see what it is.

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You don't need to prove the statement for even n. The statement you're trying to prove explicitly says that n is odd.

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4
    yes ,thanx for correcting :tongue:

6. Dec 19, 2009 #5
    Couldn't you prove these by the process of mathematical induction as well :3 ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook