1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequalities- tricky question

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    Inequalities- tricky question!!

hiii,
    i was wondering if anybody knew how to help me with this one tricky homework question. i can do most of the inequaliies ive come across, but how do you solve an inequality if you cant factor it???
    the question is: (x^2-4x+7)/(x^2+x-6)
    i know that the denominator is easily factorable ((x+3)(x-2)) but the numerator isnt? help plzzzz ive been stuck on this for ages!!!:(:(

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Re: Inequalities- tricky question!!

Rewrite (x^2-4x+7) to (x-2)^2+3. What can you say about this?

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ok so I'm guessing by inequalities you mean something like [tex]\frac{x^2-4x+7}{x^2+x-6}>1[/tex] for example?

Try multiplying both sides by [tex](x^2+x-6)^2[/tex] since you know this has to be a non-negative number, and don't expand! Use your knowledge of factorizing to solve it.

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4

ohh sorry i didnt even put the rest of the question in!! it was (x^2-4x+7)/(x^2+x-6)≤ 0
    i just wasnt sure if i was allowed to automatically multiply by the denominator because i didnt know if it was positive or negative. if i rephrase it as (x-2)^2 + 3, i still cant cancel out any brackets because its not completely factored. sorry:( just havent done maths in ages and i suck at it..

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Can you tell when (x-2)^2+3 is positive and negative though? Notice the squared term.

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6

oohhh i got it now!!!:) yay took ages tho lol but thanks every1:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook