Is it Possible for x^2 to Exceed 900?

In summary: The best (and only) way to solve this problem is to consider two cases and see where each case takes you.
mark2142
Homework Statement
Suppose ##x^2 > 900##
Relevant Equations
What will be x?
We can also write a general inequality ##x^2>a## where a is a number.
If ##x^2= a##, then ##x= \pm \sqrt a## which means ##x= \sqrt a## or ##-\sqrt a##.
But in this case i don’t think it will be ##x > \pm \sqrt a## because if we take ##0## , it’s greater than a negative but in the original inequality ##0 < a## , a positive number.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about ##|x|## ?

Likes vela
mark2142 said:
If ##x^2= a##, then ##x= \pm \sqrt a## which means ##x= \sqrt a## or ##-\sqrt a##.
But in this case i don’t think it will be ##x > \pm \sqrt a## ...
That's true. ##x^2 > a \Rightarrow x > a## or ##x \ ? -a##?

mark2142 said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose ##x^2 > 900##
Relevant Equations:: What will be x?

We can also write a general inequality ##x^2>a## where a is a number.
But in this case i don’t think it will be ##x > \pm \sqrt a## because if we take ##0## , it’s greater than a negative but in the original inequality ##0 < a## , a positive number.
##x > \pm \sqrt a## is ambiguous and shouldn’t be used.

For example, if ##a=900## then one possible interpretation of ##x > \pm \sqrt a## is that it is satisfied by ##x=1##, because ##1>-30##, which is clearly wrong does not satisfy the original inequality##x^2 \gt a##.

Edited.

Last edited:
Likes mark2142
mark2142 said:
Good catch. When you are dealing with inequalities, you have to be careful about minus signs and negative numbers. You should handle these two cases separately.
Case 1: ##x \gt \sqrt a##
Case 2: ##x \lt -\sqrt a##

Likes chwala and mark2142
Dear @mark2142 ,

Are you aware that if ## a > b ##, then it follows that ## - a < - b## ?

I.e. if you multiply left and right of an inequality with a negative number : the inequality sign flips ...

##\ ##

Likes chwala and mark2142
Steve4Physics said:
##x > \pm \sqrt a## is ambiguous and shouldn’t be used.

For example, if ##a=900## then one possible interpretation of ##x > \pm \sqrt a## is that it is satisfied by ##x=1##, because ##1>-30##, which is clearly wrong does not satisfy the original inequality##x^2 \gt a##.

Edited.
Yes! ##x> - \sqrt a## is wrong and then ##x^2 > a## is not true.
But how do we reach to the solution?
(I don’t want to solve ##x^2 -a > 0##.)

FactChecker said:
Good catch. When you are dealing with inequalities, you have to be careful about minus signs and negative numbers. You should handle these two cases separately.
Case 1: ##x \gt \sqrt a##
Case 2: ##x \lt -\sqrt a##
How have you reached to the solution?
( sorry for late response! )

BvU said:
How about ##|x|## ?
What about it?

mark2142 said:
Yes! If ##x> - \sqrt a## then ##x^2 > a## is not true.
But how do we reach to the solution?
(I don’t want to solve ##x^2 -a > 0##.)
Come again ? In post #1 you ask ' what is ##x## if ##x^2>900## ' and now you don't want to solve the equivalent problem ?

How about making a plot, then ?

1679052738213.png

##\ ##

Likes chwala, MatinSAR, scottdave and 2 others
mark2142 said:
What about it?
##x^2 > 900\ \Leftrightarrow \ |x|>\sqrt{900}##

Likes MatinSAR
BvU said:
Come again ? In post #1 you ask ' what is ##x## if ##x^2>900## ' and now you don't want to solve the equivalent problem ?

How about making a plot, then ?

View attachment 323730
##\ ##
I thought maybe there was a fast algebraic method. So tell me about the graph.You plotted a graph between ##x## and ##x^2## by taking different values of x. By graph it’s clear ##x^2> 900## for ##x <-30## and ##x>30##.

mark2142 said:
I thought maybe there was a fast algebraic method
There is:
BvU said:
##x^2 > 900\ \Leftrightarrow \ |x|>\sqrt{900}##
##\Leftrightarrow \ x>30\ \lor \ -x<-30 ##

[edit] Oops ! see #16

Last edited:
mark2142 said:
I thought maybe there was a fast algebraic method.
Not really. The best (only?) way is to consider two cases and see where each case takes you.

FactChecker said:
Not really. The best (only?) way is to consider two cases and see where each case takes you.
Ok! Thanks everyone. Bye!

BvU said:
##\Leftrightarrow \ x>30\ \lor \ -x<-30 ##
##\Leftrightarrow \ x>30\ \lor \ x<-30 ##

Likes Mark44
Emphasis added...
mark2142 said:
So tell me about the graph. You plotted a graph between ##x## and ##x^2## by taking different values of x. By graph it’s clear ##x^2> 900## for ##x <-30## and ##x>30##.
  1. @BvU provided a graph of ##y = x^2## and a graph of ##y = 900## to demonstrate visually the intervals for which ##x^2 > 900##.
  2. The appropriate conjunction above is or. It's not possible for a value of x to be both less than -30 and greater than 30.

• Informative
Likes scottdave and mark2142
FactChecker said:
I think the OP is asking how you come up with the two cases in the first place. That is, how do you know it's supposed to be ##x < -\sqrt{a}## instead of ##x > -\sqrt{a}## other than simply memorizing?

The easiest way is using what @BvU has hinted at. Since ##\sqrt{x^2} = \lvert x \rvert##, after taking the square root of the original inequality, you have ##\lvert x \rvert > 30##. Then the definition of the absolute value leads to the two cases
$$ \lvert x \rvert > 30 \quad \Rightarrow \quad
\begin{cases}
x > 30, & x>0 \\
-x > 30, & x<0
\end{cases}$$ Negating the latter case gives you ##x < -30##.

• Informative
Likes mark2142 and scottdave
vela said:
I think the OP is asking how you come up with the two cases in the first place. That is, how do you know it's supposed to be ##x < -\sqrt{a}## instead of ##x > -\sqrt{a}## other than simply memorizing?
One way that works in many such inequalities is to try some cases in each section of the reals in question: x=0 and x=-1000 and see which ones work.

vela said:
The easiest way is using what @BvU has hinted at. Since x2=|x|, after taking the square root of the original inequality, you have |x|>30.
Thank you for clarifying but what is ##\sqrt 900##? Doesn't the inquality ##x^2 > 900## becomes ##|x| > \pm 30## after square rooting?

• Sad
Likes PeroK
mark2142 said:
Thank you for clarifying but what is ##\sqrt 900##? Doesn't the inquality ##x^2 > 900## becomes ##|x| > \pm 30## after square rooting?
##\sqrt{900} = 30##
If ##x^2 > 900## then ##|x| > 30##

The expression ##\sqrt{900}## represents the principal (i.e., positive) square root of 900. It's a common mistake that we see a lot where people think that the square root of a number is plus/minus some quantity. That is erroneous.

Likes chwala, mark2142 and vela
Mark44 said:
##\sqrt{900} = 30##
If ##x^2 > 900## then ##|x| > 30##

The expression ##\sqrt{900}## represents the principal (i.e., positive) square root of 900. It's a common mistake that we see a lot where people think that the square root of a number is plus/minus some quantity. That is erroneous.1
https://math.stackexchange.com/a/547831/1109500
Is this what you mean? That we choose ##\sqrt x## to be a positive square root because it helps in solving inequalities and equations. And for that to be consistent all the way we want ##\sqrt {x^2}= |x| ## to be true.
Then it will be like @vela said. ##|x| >30## and by definition of absolute values we have x<-30 or x>+30.

mark2142 said:
Yes
mark2142 said:
That we choose ##\sqrt x## to be a positive square root because it helps in solving inequalities and equations.
No, we choose ##\sqrt x ## to be the positive square root of x so that the square root operation will be a function. A function has only a single value. However, in more advanced mathematics the concept of multi-valued or vector-valued functions comes up.
mark2142 said:
And for that to be consistent all the way we want ##\sqrt {x^2}= |x| ## to be true.
I don't think that's the right explanation. By definition, |x| equals x if x is is nonnegative, and equals -x if x happens to be negative. With our convention, ##\sqrt{x^2}## has the same value as |x|.
mark2142 said:
Then it will be like @vela said. ##|x| >30## and by definition of absolute values we have x<-30 or x>+30.

Likes MatinSAR, vela and SammyS
mark2142 said:
https://math.stackexchange.com/a/547831/1109500
Is this what you mean? That we choose ##\sqrt x## to be a positive square root because it helps in solving inequalities and equations. And for that to be consistent all the way we want ##\sqrt {x^2}= |x| ## to be true.
$$(-31)(-31) = (31)(31) > 900$$$$(-29)(-29) = (29)(29) < 900$$$$-31<-30<-29< 0 < 29 < 30 < 31$$

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
don't think that's the right explanation. By definition, |x| equals x if x is is nonnegative, and equals -x if x happens to be negative. With our convention, x2 has the same value as |x|.
When you say ## \sqrt {x^2}= |x|## is this because ## \sqrt y## is taken as positive root where ##y=x^2## ? (And |x| is already positive. So both becomes equal).
Like ## \sqrt {(-2)^2}= \sqrt 4 = +2##
And ## \sqrt {2^2}= \sqrt 4 = +2##
So, ## \sqrt x^2 = |x|## for all x.

mark2142 said:
Exactly.

Likes mark2142
mark2142 said:
When you say ## \sqrt {x^2}= |x|## is this because ## \sqrt y## is taken as positive root where ##y=x^2##?
It doesn't really have anything to do with ##y = x^2##.
If x < 0, then ##\sqrt{x^2} = \sqrt{(-x)^2} = -x##, which is a positive number.
If ##x \ge 0## then ##\sqrt{x^2} = x##, which is nonnegative.
Therefore, ##\sqrt{x^2}## produces the exact same result as |x|.
mark2142 said:
(And |x| is already positive. So both becomes equal).
Like ## \sqrt {(-2)^2}= \sqrt 4 = +2##
And ## \sqrt {2^2}= \sqrt 4 = +2##
Yes, with this correction. You wrote ## \sqrt x^2## in the last line. I think I understand what you meant, but that wasn't consistent with the LaTeX that you wrote.
## \sqrt x^2## is rendered as if you had written ##(\sqrt x)^2##, which is defined only for ##x \ge 0## if the intention is for the real-valued square root.
The corrected version of that last line is ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##. In other words, you need braces around the x^2 part. So there is a difference between taking the square root first and then squaring the result, versus squaring x first, then taking the square root of that result.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Exactly.
Ok. Great. And the fact that ## (-2)^{2*1/2}= -2## is true but we ignore it and say ## (-2)^{2*1/2}= |-2|=2##. Yes?

mark2142 said:
Ok. Great. And the fact that ## (-2)^{2*1/2}= -2## is true but we ignore it and say ## (-2)^{2*1/2}= |-2|=2##. Yes?
No.

mark2142 said:
No. The usual rules for exponents don't apply when you raise negative numbers to some power. The rule you apparently are using is ##(a^b)^c = a^{bc}## requires that a > 0.
For the expression you started with, the expressions ##((-2)^2)^{1/2}## and ##(-2)^{2 * 1/2}## produce different results, namely 2 and -2, respectively.

• Informative
Likes mark2142 and PeroK
mark2142 said:
Keep things simple:
$$(x^2)^{1/2} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$$$x^{(2*\frac 1 2)} = x$$

Mark44 said:
It doesn't really have anything to do with y=x2.
I meant to substitute ##x^2## with ##y## so to make it more clear. Square root of y is defined to be positive root. My explanation seems right.
I am not saying I don’t agree with yours. It’s just I get mine and it’s easy to remember.

Thank you.

1. Can x be any real number?

Yes, x can be any real number. However, if x is a complex number, then x^2 can still exceed 900.

2. Is there a limit to how large x can be?

No, there is no limit to how large x can be. As long as x is a real number, x^2 can exceed 900.

3. What about negative values of x?

Yes, x can also be a negative number. In fact, any real number, whether positive or negative, can be squared to exceed 900 as long as it is greater than approximately ±30. Therefore, x^2 can exceed 900 for both positive and negative values of x.

4. Are there any exceptions to this possibility?

Yes, there are two exceptions to this possibility. The first exception is when x is equal to 0, as 0^2 is 0 and therefore does not exceed 900. The second exception is when x is a complex number with an imaginary component, as mentioned earlier.

5. Is this statement true for all values of x^2?

No, this statement is only true for values of x^2 that are greater than 900. For values less than or equal to 900, x^2 cannot exceed 900. For example, if x is equal to 30, then x^2 is equal to 900 and cannot exceed 900.