Proving Properties of Entire Functions | Cauchy's Theorem | Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an entire function with a given property. The Cauchy inequalities are mentioned and used to solve parts a) and b) of the problem. Part c) involves finding two examples of such a function. The solution involves finding a bound for the function on a boundary circle and using it to show that certain derivatives of the function are equal to 0.
bballife1508

Homework Statement

Let f(z) be an entire function such that |f(z)| less that or equal to R whenever R>0 and |z|=R.

(a)Show that f''(0)=0=f'''(0)=f''''(0)=...

(b)Show that f(0)=0.

(c) Give two examples of such a function f.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this has something to do with Cauchy but I not sure how to apply anything. Please I really need help with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm here for a bit, had apps to do.

All right, my advice is to first memorize the Cauchy inequalities for your final tomorrow (just memorize the actual inequality). For convenience, it says that if f is analytic on an open set U, and D(a,r) is a disk contained in U of radius r > 0 centered at a (advice: draw this out once), then

[tex]|f^{(n)}(a)| \leq \frac{n! M}{r^n}[/tex]

where M is a bound for f on the boundary of the disk D(a,r) (i.e. [itex]|f(z)| \leq M[/itex] for all z such that |z - a| = r).

Now in the problem, f is entire, so we don't need to worry about analyticity. For part a), what should play the role of a, M, r and n described in the theorem I just wrote?

a is 0 r>0 but i don't understand where M comes in exactly. how does this show that f''(0)=0=f'''(0) and so on

in addition do i show (b) and (c)?

i need this asap

M is a BOUND for f on the boundary circle. You really need to pay attention to the hypotheses in your problem. The first step in ANY problem is to translate the hypotheses.

The idea is that once we've established a bound on say |f''(a)|, we try to see if we can make it arbitrarily small according to the hypotheses. If we can, then |f''(a)| has to be 0, and that's part a). You can do the same for part b).

Part c) is not hard. It's easiest to think of polynomials which satisfy these properties (and surely you can come up with some, it's not a complex analysis question).

Last edited:

1. What is an inequality function?

An inequality function is a mathematical expression that compares two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It represents a relationship between two values, indicating that one is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other.

2. How is an inequality function graphed?

An inequality function can be graphed on a coordinate plane by first solving for the variable and then plotting the points on the graph. The line on the graph will be dashed if the inequality is strict (using < or >), and solid if the inequality is non-strict (using ≤ or ≥). The shaded region of the graph will represent all the possible solutions for the inequality.

3. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two quantities and shows a relationship between them, while an equation shows that two expressions are equal. Inequalities use symbols like <, >, ≤, or ≥, while equations use the equals sign (=). Additionally, inequalities can have an infinite number of solutions, while equations typically have a finite number of solutions.

4. How do you solve an inequality function?

To solve an inequality function, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. You can do this by using inverse operations, just like solving an equation. However, if you multiply or divide both sides of the inequality by a negative number, you must flip the inequality symbol to maintain the relationship between the two quantities.

5. How can inequality functions be used in real life?

Inequality functions can be used to represent real-life situations where there is a comparison between two quantities, such as income inequality, population growth, or budget constraints. They can also be used in business and finance to analyze profit and loss, risk assessment, and resource allocation. Inequality functions are also used in science and engineering to model and predict relationships between variables.