Inequality - how to prove that xcosx < sinx for all x

• Thread starter martint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, when dealing with inequalities like this in the future, it is sufficient to only find critical numbers and not solve for them all.
martint
Hello! does anyone know how to prove that xcosx < sinx for all x greater than 0?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's obviously false, for take x=2pi.

sorry my error, the interval for x should be 0 < x < (pi)

sorry!

Well, notice that the problem is equivalent to showing that xcotx<1 for all x in (0,pi). So use calculus.

[tex] tan(x)>x=>\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}>x=>sin(x)>xcos(x)[/tex] THis is valid however on the interval [tex]\left(0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]

Edit: Or better use quasar987's suggestion, it is better and valid on the whole interval.

Last edited:
thanks guys, but I am failing to see how its easier to solve the inequality when written as xcotx<1? :confused:

Do you know calculus? (differentiation and things like that)

yes thanks, have been using differential calculus to try and solve the problem I posted but have not been able to, else I wouldn't have posted it! just don't see the advantages of changing to xcotx<1

Consider the function f(x) = xcos(x)-sin(x). If you know calculus it should be fairly easy to show where this function is negative!

Again, this is what I have been trying to do! are we for example taking f(x), noting that f(0) =0, and using the first derivative test to show that the function is decreasing ?

ok, here it is how i would argue about showing the validity of that inequality using calculus.

Lets define the following function:

[tex] f(x)=xcosx-sinx,\forall x \in \left(0,\pi \right)[/tex]

NOw,

[tex]f'(x)=cosx-xsinx-cosx=-xsinx[/tex]

Now let's find the critical numbers

[tex] f'(x)=0=>xsinx=0=>x=0,and,x=k\pi[/tex]

But, notice that none of these numbers are in the domain of our function, so it means that f, has no cr numbers at all.

THis actually means also that f'(x) does not change sign at all on the given interval, so it is sufficient to plug in any value from the interval (0,pi) to determine the sign of f' on the whole interval, that is let [tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

SO:

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{\pi}{2}sin\frac{\pi}{2}=-\frac{\pi}{2}<0[/tex]

THis means that our function is decreasing on the given interval. Now from this information we know that:

[tex] f(0)>f(0+\epsilon),\epsilon>0,\epsilon\to\ 0, \epsilon \in (0,\pi][/tex]

Hence,

[tex]f(0)=0*cos(0)-sin(0)=0[/tex] it means that

[tex] f(x)<0,\forall x \in (0,\pi)[/tex]

so:

[tex]f(x)=xcosx-sinx<0=>xcosx<sinx[/tex]

ahh thank you very much stupidmath! Also, when solving inequalities like this in the future, should i always try to solve for critical nos, or is it enough to say for example in this case that since f(0)=0 and f'(x) = -xsinx, which is clearly negative over the whole the interval then f(x) is a decreasing function and hence less than 0?

Take [tex] x=\frac{3 \pi}{2}[/tex] f' is clearly >0 for this value. Or take any x in the interval (pi,2pi) what do you get for f'=-xsinx ?.SO it means that our funcitno is decreasing only on (0,pi) but this does not guarantee us that it is decreasing everywhere in its domain, like in this case which is not ture, since f is not decreasing everywhere but rather only on (0,pi) for our purporse.

So actually finding cr. points and seeing where function is increasing and decreasing guarantees us where f' changes sign and where not.

Last edited:

What is inequality?

Inequality is a mathematical concept that compares two values or expressions using mathematical symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one value is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other value.

What is xcosx < sinx?

This is an inequality statement that compares the value of x multiplied by the cosine of x to the value of the sine of x. It is often used in mathematical proofs to show that one expression is always smaller than another.

What is the importance of proving xcosx < sinx for all x?

This inequality is important in mathematics because it can be used to solve various mathematical problems and prove other mathematical concepts. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and trigonometry.

How can you prove xcosx < sinx for all x?

The inequality can be proved using various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and calculus. The proof involves showing that the values of xcosx and sinx are always in a specific relationship with each other, regardless of the value of x.

What are some real-life applications of xcosx < sinx?

Some real-life applications of this inequality include calculating the maximum height of a projectile, determining the stability of a structure, and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve various problems.